Lounger
    Thanks

Word vs Publisher

Hello
    As a project manager I have to publish project plans a lot. Each plan will include Visio graphics, Powerpoint slides, Excel spreadsheets, and MS Project charts. Sometimes even PDF files. Powerpoint presentations (rather than a single slide) and MS Project are the real problems. Neither will gracefully go into Word.

Typically I incorporate everything into Word except the Powerpoint presentations and MS Project charts and convert to PDF. Then convert the presentations and Project stuff I need to PDF. Then merge all the PDF files to get a single file.

Would MS Publisher allow me to import all the Word, Powerpoint, and Project stuff into it, resolve the pagination and header/footer problems, and then print?

Anybody's comments on Publisher would be appreciated.

dkobes

Re: Word vs Publisher

How do you import PDF forms or files into a Word document?

[img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]

smac

I've done a lot of DTP, but only a little bit of Publisher

I'd be surprised if Publisher would handle long Project or PPoint documents better than Word. What it will do is handle layout better.

However, the task you describe sounds like the kind of thing the Office Binder is designed for -- I believe that Visio registers itself as a valid Binder document type, and MS Project certainly is.

I haven't used the Binder in anger, so you might want to post another query, particularly regarding repagination. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Sean

Lounger
    Thanks

I can't. I have to do it the other way around and merge everything in Adobe Exchange.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, I have already thought of using Binder. It works 'okay' (in O97 it would hang frequently) but it doesn't recognize a PDF document and Binder quickly becomes a Huge file.

Although, on second thought, it would make most of the pagination formating easier. I would still have to print to PDF to merge the MS Project Reports into the final document.

So exactly what does Publisher do for you?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've found that printing from Publisher to .pdf format (using Distiller) does quite a hatchet job on the graphics, reducing the resolution significantly. If your work is graphics-intensive and resolution is important, you will likely obtain much better results by printing graphics from an image editor or Word, but YMMV.

smac

I've only used Publisher a couple of times, so I can't comment on how it handles complex MS files, like Project.

Basically, Publisher is a DTP package, Word is a text-editor and formatter on steroids.

What Publisher (indeed any DTP package) gives you is much finer and more consistent control over the layout of your pages. DTP packages are often better at handling multiple columns, threading of articles over several pages, and positioning of graphical elements.

For example, if you try to lay out a document with a lot of graphics in Word, you soon find them jumping all over the place as you edit text, as Word tries to track the location of the text anchors. You can counter this with careful use of the image properties, but layout control is pretty much trial-and-error.

DTP packages used to give you more options with output bureaux, but I think 'most everyone can handle Word.

I don't see these as being your major concerns.

You might try an old DTP trick of seeing what output formats you can get from Project, etc. and looking for those that Word can import.

You are essentially doing this already with PDF; why not try HTML output from Project (publish to a Web page) and importing this to Word?

Cheers,
    Sean

smac

Quality of graphics depends on the settings in Distiller, which converts images to JPGs. Later versions of Acrobat allow you to quickly set Screen, Print or Press optimised.

Screen optimised will downsample your image res. to 72 dpi. Print optimised will use 300 dpi, although these can be changed.

Visio images should not have these problems as they are vector images, but you might fall foul of embedded font problems.

However, you might find that some programs rasterise PDFs on import to give bitmaps.

Cheers,
    Sean

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks to everyone who contributed.

So what is an appropriate software package that will allow me to deal with format and pagination issues of a medium sized document (+50 pages) made up of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Viso, and (the kicker) PDF files?

I agree that Binder first comes to mind as you read the list and I think I'll try it to get the pagination of my appendices right. But what about the PDF? Just continue to merge using Adobe? Is that the best?

Many thanks

smac

Double-check the programs you use to create the PDF, and see if the original formats are handled by Binder. You originally said your Visio, Project and PPoint files were coverted to PDF; I thought Binder handled these.

Not having used it, I can't comment on how well...

Cheers,
    Sean

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

True, Binder is the answer. I have used it and the only disadvantage is the rapidly ballooning file size. But it handles repagination and page numbering across applications it supports.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Publisher offers Crop Marks, Color Registration Bars, Color Separations, Vertical Mirroring and several imposition choices, which Word does not, but is a lot more unfriendly.