5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Constant file not founds (2000)

When I open a certain workbook, I get stalled while a number of file not found windows opens up with fileanmes. I have used findlink.xla to find links and eliminate them, but I still get these boxes. I have to click cancel in each one to get the file loaded. Is there some other way to determine where these things originate in the file, so I can find them and killelete them? I have deleted the objects on certain tabs that might have references, and still I get these annoying attempts to open files. THanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Constant file not founds (2000)

If the file contains no propriatry information, post it here (zipped), maybe we can have a look.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the offer. It does have tons of information and is a huge file, so I'll have to pass. But I downloaded that Name Manager as a potential tool to check it out. Also, would the fact that this file was developed in Excel2002 but is now on 2000 be any indicator? Thanks.

Thanks

From a copy of the file, you could move each sheet into as a new workbook and then open each of them and try to pinpoint which one/ones have the problem.

Then you could start deleting columns and rows to try to pinpoint where the problem might be.

If you delete enough "stuff" from it and remove confidential info and still can't find the problem, you could attach that file.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's an interesting idea. Would these File Not Found dialog boxes have any other source than a link? If I run Findlink.xla enough times, shouldn't that get all of these things? Or is there some other item that could conceivably try to do this? I have deselected the Ask to Update Links and I guess I should select that again to opt-out each time. I misunderstood that box to read "don't update when loading" but it really means "go ahead without asking" I guess. Thanks.

Thanks

Does the file have links?
    Edit - links will tell you that.

If there are not links in Edit - links it must be from somewhere else. What are the macros you run? Do they call any files?

Do you have formulas which are not "true" links (edit links will list these, but findlinks will also find them) but references to sheetnames that don't exist in the workbook. These are also "links", though they look like normal formulas.

I was going under the assumption there is something "strange" and giving suggestions on how to "track it down".

If you open with macros disabled do you have the problem?
    Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a screenshot of one of those boxes?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association