3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Subforms in tab force hand of Afterupdate (Win 2k, Access XP, SP2)

I have a tabbed form. On one page, there are two nested, linked subforms -- linked on non-alterable data (the autonum recordcounter).

I keep a "changelog" of any items that might be updated in the parent record, this changelog gets written upon the "afterupdate" getting triggered.

I find that if I have made a change on one of the tabs, then click the tab w/ the nested forms, the afterupdate is automatically triggered. This is fine if I've made all my changes, but -- if I have further ones, I end up w/ a second changelog record.

I did at one time have code in the form to trigger a "save" upon clicking on that tab, so I wondered if there might be some flukey "leftover." I checked the current code thoroughly, then recompiled, etc.

Is this a natural response in forms which have nested forms in their tabs, or do you think I ought to copy the current forms, etc. into a fresh database?

I did some searching in this forum and across the Web -- but couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.

Thanks very much,
    Pat Williams

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subforms in tab force hand of Afterupdate (Win 2k, Access XP, SP2)

No, this is normal behavior. If you set focus to a subform, the record in the main form is saved. See ACC: Main Form Record Edits Saved When Subform Gets Focus - it is for Access 97 but is still valid for later versions too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subforms in tab force hand of Afterupdate (Win 2k, Access XP, SP2)

Thank you so much, Hans! I simply changed the tab order for that tab, so that it doesn't immediately setfocus on the subforms. That will save at least _some_ duplication! It wasn't a show-stopper, but it sure makes it a little nicer now.
    thx
    Pat