Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Loading IE 6 Home Page (XP Home w SP1)

Hello all. Been quite some time since my last post. Hope you can help as you did so many times before.
    I have all the latest windows and Norton AV updates. My wife tells me that the following problem began about 3 weeks ago.

Start up to the desktop phase works as normal. However, when I click the IE 6 icon, it takes 30 to 35 seconds for the Yahoo home page to start showing...and then another 30 seconds or so for the page to completely load. Same thing occurs when I click the MSN icon.

Norton AV does not currently indicate the presence of a virus, trojan, worm or whatever. However, on March 27th, we did get hit with download trojans 'A0108101.exe' and 'bdl14108.exe'. Norton AV detected and deleted them, but when I did a system search they were still in a number of folders. Naturally, I deleted them from any folder that they appeared.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Slow Loading IE 6 Home Page (XP Home w SP1)

What happens when you just open IE by selecting the "Big blue E"?

What happens if you were to change the home page to Google.com?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for the suggestion Dave.

The slow loading occurs if I click the desktop icon or the quick launch 'Big Blue E'.

I also replaced Yahoo with Google and got the same slow load.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And what happens after Yahoo completely loads, is everything still slow or normal afterwards.

Have you deleted all Temporary Internet Files, cookies, and history files? (make sure she remembers her passwords first)

Have you run AdAware? If not, get it, it's free and it works. (some, like me, run SpyBot - also free - first, then AdAware).

Speaking of free, you do use a personal firewall, right? Like ZoneAlarm?

Do all other applications behave properly?

Is that the only computer on the network there? Are the other computers accessing the Internet okay?

You said:
    <hr>Norton AV does not currently indicate the presence of a virus, trojan, worm or whatever. However, on March 27th, we did get hit with download trojans 'A0108101.exe' and 'bdl14108.exe'. Norton AV detected and deleted them, but when I did a system search they were still in a number of folders. Naturally, I deleted them from any folder that they appeared. <hr>
    I Googled 'A0108101' and 'bdl14108' and searched for them on Symantec and found no reference to those numbers at all. If you did not empty your recycle bin, you might want to restore any files with those names - I'd force a Norton AV scan, with latest signatures, on the recycle bin first.

There's been a few critical updates in the last few weeks, and they did affect security - although not personally a fan of System Restore, after trying everything else, you might try a system restore to a point before the problems started.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can also try to unbrand your IE, that means remove all customized toolbars and return it to default state.

To do so, copy the following to Notepad, save it as UNBRAND.VBS (make shure that is NOT unbrand.vbs.txt) and run (double-click) VBS file.

'************Beginning of the file**********

'Unbrand.vbs - Remove IE/OE branding
    '

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for input Bill. Responding to your questions...the Temp IE files, cookies, history files and recycle bin are cleaned when I shut down (via Window Washer); We run Adaware, Spybot and Pest Patrol every 2 or 3 days and use the XP firewall. All other applications seem to be normal

This is PC 2 of 3 that are part of my home wireless network. The primary PC (XP Home) loads instantly as does PC 3 (98 2nd Ed.). I tried System Restore when I first attempted to resolve the problem...to no avail. All 3 PCs have the latest MS and Norton updates.

This is the info I get from the Norton AV histories file when I click 'Properties' for each of these trojans:

C:Program FilesSTCbdl14108.exe; and

C:System Volume Information_restore{DF7D0928-8CE9-4DF5-A45C-54709AABEBA8}RP179A0108101.exe

Hope this helps.

As for the "unbrand" idea, it scares the heck out of me. What happens if I err along the way? If the answer is nothing, I'll try it. Otherwise, I'll ask a PC literate friend to do it for me. Can you explain the principle behind this maneuver?

Regards!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Ralph,
    Have you tried a repair or re-install of IE? How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP.

Joe
    Joe