New Lounger
    Thanks

home network (windows xp)

I connected an HP pavilion directly to a Toshiba satelite laptop via a crossover cable and ran the network wizard on both computers. When I go to My Network Places, I can see all of the shared folders on the screens of both machines, and can can access them from the toshiba. But when I try to access any of the folders from the HP desktop, I get an error message that says "you may not have permission to access the network resources. Contact your network administrator to determine if you have permission to use the resources. Network path not found." Both machines have 256 megs of ram, and both are running XP. I have instructed the M firewall to recognize the ip addresses of both computers, but the HP seems not to recognize me as the network administrator, although I am listed as such in user accounts on both. Anybody seen this one before?

Thanks

Re: home network (windows xp)

Have you set up a user account on each computer with identical user names and passwords? XP is very picky about that. Also, if you have a firewall installed , turn it off and test again.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Appreciate the reply, but sad to say neither the user name nor the firewall seems to make any difference. I can still access the folders from the laptop, but not from the desktop. It appears not to recognize me as the computer administrator. If you have any other thoughts, I'd be glad to try them.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following on the laptop (the system whose folders cannot be seen by the other one).

Right click on My Computer
    Select Manage
    In the left hand pane expand shared folders
    Click on Sessions
    Look in the right hand pane to see if the other computer has established a connection, if it has then note the Username and whether it has connected as a Guest.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR
    Thanks for the post. When I try to expand the sessions left pane, i get a right pane message that says there are no items to show in the view. Thus i suppose the desktop isn't even trying to connect to the laptop. Yet it is supposed to be a peer to peer network. Any suggestions....
    Thanks
    Etoin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Every piece of information helps when you have a problem like this. We now know that we are looking at a connectivity problem and not a password / username one.

Here are some more questions to try and tease out a bit more detail
    <UL><LI>What do you see in "Sessions" on the other computer?
    <LI>Please create a command window (start > run > CMD) and type Ping xxxxxx (where xxxxxx is the name of the other computer. What output do you get from each computer?
    <LI>Can you explain what an "M firewall" is and how you have configured it.[/list]StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    Thanks for the follow-up. I can ping both comuters and get an appropriate response. All packets are sent and received. As far as the firewall goes, I was referring to the Microsoft firewall, and it is configured to run on the internet connection only. I do have a Macafee firewall installed, but when I am trying to use the local network, I disable it. The fact that the computers ping each other appropriately doesn't seem to jibe with the information I get from the Sessions window.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can ping both computers then you definitely have IP connectivity.
    The sessions information shows that there is no connection for the particular TCP protocol used to share files
    You haven't confirmed the sessions information in the other direction yet, but I assume that was OK.

The reference to a firewall on "the internet connection only" is intriguing. How do you connect to the internet? Is there a separate Ethernet connection for this or some sort of dial up?

The most likely cause of the symptoms you describe is one of your firewalls. Can you (temporarily) remove your computers from the Internet and then completely disable both firewalls and test the file sharing again.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for hanging with me on this. The sessions information from the laptop is appropriate, but not so from the desktop machine. The only firewall in use is the mcafee and it is only on the host computer dial up internet connection. I can access any shared file from the laptop on either computer, but attempts to access the files from the desktop always result in the "you might not have permission to use this network resource" message. I have disabled firewalls on both connections on both computers, as you suggest, but it changes nothing. I have checked (many times) the ip addresses, the default gateways and the dns server designations, and all appear correct. If they weren't the ping command should not work, should it?
    I notice in the dos screen that the laptop recognizes me by name, but the same screen on the desktop includes no reference to me or to "owner," with the line ending simply with a c:
    At any rate, thanks for your efforts to help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am almost out of ideas.

Lsat time we had symptoms similar to this in the lounge, it turned out that the user hadn't enabled file sharing (and shared a folder) on one PC. Could you please look at the properties of your network connection and ensure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is ticked. Also look just above the "Sessions" in computer management at "Shares" and make sure that both computers are offering shares to the network.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I agree. I've been out of ideas. The computers both show shares offered on the network in the management window, and the files and printer sharing boxes are ticked on both computers. I did notice something strange on the connections window on the desktop machine. Even though I'm working on the net, the connections window shows aol via the lucent modem disconnected. In the client area, it shows no clients connected, even though I can access files on this computer from the laptop. I'm about to give up and take both computers to a shop and let them pull out their hair. I don't have much left.
    Thanks again for taking the time to make suggestions.
    Etoin