Star Lounger
    Thanks

SFC/scannow, FDISK and reinstall XP (XP home current on updates)

I have gotten my XP Home overloaded and some sort of a Trojan horse in it. In look on the Lounge I have seen references to SFC/scannow and FDISK. When I tried to run SFC/scannow, Windows says it cannot find it. Why? Where is it? Do I need to be in Safe mode to do it? Direction that even the lame and the dull computer user can understand would be greatly appreciated.

For FDISK I guess I need to go to fdisk.com and buy the down load. That good enough?

What do you think of reinstalling everything? I have a lot of programs on the system. When I install they all ask for Where to put it and do I want it in the Startup. I usually say yes. In retrospect that is probably dumb. Agree? Reinstall just seems to be a good way to start fresh. I have asked before and some people think all can be repaired but I had no luck doing that. Comments? Really really dumb and a time waster to do?

Thanks for any and all help.
    jmf

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: SFC/scannow, FDISK and reinstall XP (XP home current on updates)

First thing you need to do is run the right type of program if you think you have a Trojan,Spyware or Virus.
    You can find Online Trojan Scanners, and check for Trojans.http://www.trojanscan.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.htm
    Adware and Spybot are free Spyware programs.
    Adware
    Spybot
    AVG is a free AntiVirus Program you could download and check for Viruses.
    AVG

I would try all of those before I would do a Reinstall.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Cowboy, you first need to clean up your system. If you try to reinstall, Windows is likely to see you have a previous installation, protect its current (and bad) configuration and reinstall without fixing the problem - it sees that a file is there, but may not check to see if it is corrupted - if there, it leaves it - which does not help you.

First, get rid of all your junk - delete all your cookies and Temporary Internet Files, empty the Recycle Bin - this will make all the necessary scanning faster. Then run SpyBot and AdAware (they are both excellent and *FREE*). Then the virus scanner WITH the latest up to date signature files.

Once that is done, you can try SFC. From your start menu, click on Run. In the run text area enter: sfc /scannow - note the space after sfc - you will most likely be prompted to insert your Windows disk so have it handy.

I see no reason for you to run FDISK - that is used primarily to manage the partitions on your drives - messing with that can make all your data unreachable and would force a complete reinstall.
    <hr>What do you think of reinstalling everything?<hr>
    Reinstalling everything is the very last option - and I would NOT do it if I did not have broadband (cable or dsl). Don't forget, if you wipe out everything, you will have to reinstall all your hardware drivers, 100s of Megs of updates, patches, and service packs.
    <hr>When I install they all ask for Where to put it and do I want it in the Startup. I usually say yes. In retrospect that is probably dumb. Agree?<hr>
    Items under the Start menu are just shortcuts and can be moved around to your liking - to make it manageable, you have to do regular housekeeping because programs will scatter their shortcuts all over (Start Menu, Desktop, Quicklaunch and more). Every time I install a program, I go in and arrange my Start menu to the way I want. I have folders for Accessories, Applications, Utilities, Games, Hardware, Internet Stuff, PDA Stuff, Startup, and Utilities. Everything goes somewhere under those folders so there is a logical (twisted to some maybe) path for me to drill down and find what I want.

The actual programs are by default, installed somewhere under c:Program Files. I install all my programs on my D: drive in folders almost identical to my start menu - again, so that I can easily find what I am looking for. It takes some forethought and regular maintenance to keep your file structure organized - You want it like a well organized office file cabinet - a drawer (main folder) for each category, and the contents of each drawer sorted in folders and sub-folders from there. If you don't do it, you will soon have a huge tangled mess.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cowboy,
    thanks for the suggestion. Symantec has already told me that I have a Trojan Horse in the regestry. Even some suggestion for how to get it out. I tried and could not edit the registry. I looked where they said and did not find it. Either it is my lack of technical knowledge or it is too well hidden.
    I tried Adaware, it found it but could not fix it. I tried Trojan scan, it did not find it(?).
    Anyway, SFC/scannow still does not work, "Windows cannot find file SFC/scannow." Probably related to the close relationship between Windows and vacum cleaners. For the reasons I mentioned above, I still am debating the merits of an FDISK and redo. Other thoughts?
    Thanks for the help.
    I think the lounge is a great way to get help. Does tend to be over my head in many cases but very interesting.
    Regards,

Thanks

----------------------------------
    SFC/scannow still does not work
    -----------------------------------
    I hope it is just the way you are typing in your post,not the way you are trying it on your system.

Go to Start>Run and type sfc /scannow. OK

There must be a space between the sfc and the /scannow or it won't work.

As Bill mentioned, have your XP CD ready. It will ask for it.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Red face here. I don't do read.
    When I got Bill's post mentioning the space I saw my error. Nothwithstanding that, I ran it and it did not ask for my CD and/or find anything? I did Norton Anti-virus again and it found it again. I may or may not have been able to Quarintine/delete, but not sure. I scanned 2 time at 24 minutes each and will try it again. I hope that if it quarintines and/or deletes it does not kill the system.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,