New Lounger
    Thanks

New Document from Template Crashes Word (2002)

I have several templates containing company logos, special formats, etc. that when I try to create a new document based on them, cause Word to crash with the message "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I've tried renaming normal.dot to generate a fresh one but still get the crashes with certain templates. When I simply open the problem template's dot file, it opens just fine. It's just when a try to create a new document based on it that Word crashes. I even tried to create a new template that only contained one logo image copied from an existing template. Trying to create a new document from this new template also crashed Word. Does anyone know what could be causing this behavior and what I can do about it? Thanks.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Document from Template Crashes Word (2002)

Hi Alan:
    When you say you still get the crashes with certain templates, does that mean that some of them are fixed? Try the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Document from Template Crashes Word (2002)

Phil, to answer your question, some templates crash Word consistently and some never crash it. Thanks for directing me to your post on systematic steps..... I eliminated a template that was in an arcane MS Office startup folder and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Alan