Papa John

printing difficulties

When I attempt to print from Word, the printer is set at "landscape" by default and when I try to change it to "portrait", my screen freezes. This only happens in Word and it happens intermittantly. Usually, after I reboot, I can make the change and it prints without any trouble. Does anybody know what I can do about this?

Papa John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: printing difficulties

Hi Papa John, (some really cool new names showing up around here!)

Sorry I don't have an answer, but in hopes of getting closer to one, can you let us know what version of Word and Windows you are using, what type of printer, are you on a network, is Word the only app that is showing this problem, etc.

Regards,
    Gary

Papa John

Of course, I should have included the info that Gary suggests.

I'm using Word 2000 (Professional version) w/ WIN 98 and an HP 870Cxi printer. It is my home computer, so I am not connected to any network. I did say that this problem occurs only with my Word program, but I'll repeat it here.

Papa John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I know it sounds like a dumb suggestion, but try removing the printer from the computer's setup, rebooting, then re-installing the printer. At work, we have a few users that have needed this to be done for them because the driver became corrupt for some strange reason.

Keep us posted.
    Christopher Baldrey

Papa John

Thanks, Chris, but would a corrupted driver be affected in only one program? I only have trouble with in Word.

PJ

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is kind of an old saw, but the oft-repeated "try replacing your Normal.dot" sounds applicable here.

Papa John

How do I go about "replacing the normal.dot? Any time that ahs come up in the past -- inadvertantly -- things got really messed up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I thought Phil had posted steps for this in the past, but can't find 'em. Oh well, hope I get this right:

First, determine the location of your 'local' Normal.dot by looking at Tools/Options/File Locations, and noting the directory indicated next to "User Templates".
    Now, close Word.
    Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the location of your Normal.dot.
    Rename your existing Normal.dot (rather than delete it - you may have customizations in there that you'll want to copy out later).
    You can rename it "AbNormal.dot", "OLDNormal.dot", "Normal.old" or whatever you like.
    Now restart Word. Word will create a factory-fresh new Normal.dot with all default settings, and as-yet free of all the little bugs that inevitably creep in.[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary:
    Those are the steps, but I'd shortcut the first part. Don't bother trying to figure out where normal.dot is kept & then opening Windows Explorer & navigating there.

It's faster to click the taskbar, press F3, & type normal.dot. Window's "Find...files & folders" is pretty fast & when you find it, just rename it right there in the Find box. Saves a little time.

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks Phil.
    And I like that click taskbar, F3 - didn't know that.
    It works in Win2K too.
    Is there no bottom to your well of Word and Windows lore?[img]/w3timages/icons/king.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There's a bottom to everything. I'm sure I'll find it.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/dragon.gif[/img]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the delayed response:

I know it sounds weird, but that is the only thing that was affected on our computers. Why would a Microsoft error make sense?
    Christopher Baldrey

Papa John

Thanks to all who offered to help. I'll give all the suggestions a try and let you know it anyof it works.