3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Limiting # of records

Access 97 - I have clients and client transactions. Frequently I need a statement (report) for only one client. I have a button in the transaction form that previews the statement report for the single person. However, when that person has made many transactions, I want the report limited to the most recent 10 transactions.

I tried sorting by transaction date and limiting to the top 10 (using the topvalues control and editing SQL), but the result limits the most recent 10 transactions for all clients.

I'm stumped and my head is getting sore from batting it against the wall. Help??
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limiting # of records

Restrict the report to run from a query that selects only the client you are looking for, not the whole table and then the top values should work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that but I don't know how to convince Access to select one client BEFORE it finds top 5. Right now the button on the statement runs code that limits to the single client. The top-5 is in the Report-source query. That seems as though the client limitation SHOULD come before the record limitation - but that's not how it works.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is in the code behind your button? Something like this should work:

<pre> Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "rptTest"
    DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , _
    "[TestID]=" & Me![txtTestID]</pre>

In this example, TestID is the name of the field you want to use in the where condition, and Me!txtTestID represents the control on the current form that contains the value you want to use. Passing the where condition to the report automatically limits the recordset behind the report to only the records that match.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, my code is much as you wrote and it does limit the report to the one client. My question was, when there are multiple transactions for that client, how do I limit the details (transactions) to the 10 most recent ones? I attempted to do so with TopValues, but could never get TopValues to apply to the transactions of the current client. Instead, it applied to top transactions of ALL clients.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, you might be better off using automation to open the report and then setting its recordsource to the SQL statement that would return the recordset for that client including the TopValue argument.
    Charlotte