Thanks

Open With options (SR-1)

When I choose Open With from the context menu and select a program from a list, I often want to use a program only once. Yet, the "Always use the selected program" box is checked by default, and I must de-select it each time. Is there a way to make the unchecked setting the default? Thanks.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Thanks

Re: Open With options (SR-1)

Mine isn't checked by default, and I can never recall seeing it so.
    Do the files you are opening have an associated program already? - if not, perhaps Windows is assuming that the first time you open this type of file you will want to associate it with a default, in which case, allow it just the once....

Thanks

Thanks. For instance, I may want to open a TXT file in Excel, though I don't want Excel to be the default. Before I choose Excel, I must uncheck the box. It seems that the box is not always checked, but I haven't studied it to see whether there's a pattern. Sometimes there's an associated program and other times there is not.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For me, the situation is like this:
    <UL><LI>If I select Open With | Select Program for a file with a "known" extension, the "Always use the selected program" check box is always clear. Windows assumes that I don't want to change the existing association, unless I explicitly choose to do so.
    <LI>If I select Open, then Select Program from a List for a file with an "unknown" extension, the "Always use the selected program" check box is always ticked. Windows assumes that I want to teach it how to open this extension. I don't know of a way to turn off the check box by default in this situation (I would prefer that too.)[/list]This behavior is consistent on both my work PC (Windows XP Pro) and my home PC (Windows XP Home).

Thanks

Thanks again for the help. I simply added an "Open with Excel" to the TXT context menu, which actually workes better that going through the Open With routine.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT