3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard Lockup (Win XP Pro SP1)

On a Dell Latitude C640 user reports keyboard is locked. When she types nothing happens. However, pressing the right shift key and holding down until the beeping changes to a different tone, then releasing the key the keyboard is no longer locked. I ddon't know if it is just the right shift key or if another key would generate the same results. I don't know if the initial beeping is the keyboard buffer complaining.

I am checking to see if the laptop is coming out of hibernation mode when this happens but I do not have more info to go on.

I am going to see if I can remote into the laptop Monday to check if hibernation is disabled, etc. and what happens if another key is used to try to unlock the keyboard.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

Re: Keyboard Lockup (Win XP Pro SP1)

The only thing that comes to mind is that the right-hand shift key is associated with FilterKeys - see your XP Help which should state something like:
    <hr>To use the shortcut that allows you to turn StickyKeys on or off by by holding down the right SHIFT key for eight or more seconds, select the Use shortcut check box.<hr>
    I'm not myself familiar with the Accessibility options, some further limited info here:
    301583 - A List of the Keyboard Shortcuts That Are Available in Windows XP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. All client settings are the same as mine for the FilterKeys but the sound being made right before the keyboard frees up (to me) sounds like the FilterKeys goofy beep. Also, client never gets the FilterKeys popup menu when the keyboard is locked... but does get it when she presses and holds the right shift key under normal keyboard conditions.

I have remotely changed the power save configuration to do basically nothing while on AC power and unchecked hibernation.

Thanks again for the tip and reminder about Accessibility Options.

It may turn out to be a hardware issue but nothing has turned up yet.

-David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Still no answer on this one. The FilterKeys settings are exactly as the rest of the users we have checked, including my own configuration.

The changes to power save profile have made no difference so we are going to hunt down another Dell C640 and swap the keyboard.

-David