New Lounger
    Thanks

normal.dot problem (Wood 2000 on XP)

My friend is using Wood 2000 on Windows XP. When she first opens Word, or a new page, a letter that she once wrote always pops up. The only way she can make a new document is to delete the text of the letter, make the document and use save as to save it.

This file has no name and I can

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: normal.dot problem (Wood 2000 on XP)

There must be a normal.dot somewhere? Even if the file is deleted, next time Word is opened, a new one will be created. It is possible it is hidden or located in a directory which is hidden and the search is not including hidden files. Check your file options to verify that you can see hidden files on this machine (and with this login).

Look under Tools > Options > File Locations and make a note of the path listed against User Templates. This is where the Normal.dot file will be located. Now close the current file and choose File > Open and navigate your way to that directory and open the Normal.dot file, delete the content, save and exit.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add a little detail...

The default location for Normal.Dot is
    <font face="Georgia">Cocuments and Settingsyour usernameApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates</font face=georgia>
    Application Data is usually a hidden folder, so a search will fail to find Normal.Dot unless you include hidden folders.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew & Stuart, thanks so much. I didn't get to try your suggestions until yesterday and it worked perfectly. I hadn't known they would hide that little @#$!%.

Thanks again.

Elaine