New Lounger
    Thanks

Quick Launch and Folder Settings (Xp-SP1)

My very recent upgrade from Win ME to XP-SP 1 home edition went, in general, quite well. There are, however, two annoyances that I have been unable to resolve and would very much appreciate help with.

1) XP loses its memory for my folder settings in Windows Explorer, automatically returning to icons view with each reboot, even though I prefer details. I have tried using Tools, and that failing, editing the registry as suggested in a PC Magazine article from January 2004 (delete BagMRU and Bags then add BagMRU Size in two Registry keys), but with no luck. Any other suggestions?

2) XP also loses its memory (goes mindless?) with Quick Launch on each reboot. I've tried using the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, I've locked (and unlocked) the Taskbar, I've tried every combination of checkmark on this property menu - with no luck. With each reboot, Quick Launch is gone. When I bring it back, the order of the icons has changed from what I prefer. What else can I do?

All help is appreciated!
    George

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quick Launch and Folder Settings (Xp-SP1)

Just as a test, try creating a new user account and see if the problem persists. It would be beneficial to know if it is related to a specific user profile or if it is system-wide.

As a side note, upgrades to XP usually go smoothly but quirky behaviour after the fact is not uncommon. Frankly I'm amazed that the upgrade path works as well as it does.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quick Launch and Folder Settings (Xp-SP1)

Interesting idea. I set up a new account and Windows Explorer discovered its memory, for that account only, with each reboot. However, Quick Launch became mindless again after I rebooted. So it seems the Explorer problem is local to the administrator account and the Quick Launch is a system wide problem.

George