Star Lounger
    Thanks

CPU won't stay in Standby,System Restore broke

CPU won't stay in "standby".It did up to 2 days ago.Was perfect.Have added no new programs other than updates on Mcafee Virus protection.Tried to use "System Restore" to roll registry back to Sunday 25th when "Standby" worked fine."Restore won't restore to those dates,25th or 26th,(probably won't work on any dates now!)
    I can't remember how to "Purge"System restore" to clean it up and get it back on track and can't figure out why CPU all of a sudden won't stay in "Standby".Cleared my Cache and cookies but no help.Nothing in Task Scheduler causing it to come out of "Standby",I have done no downloads or changed a thing on computer in last month.Used to work perfectly.
    I have had new version of "Adaware"for over a month.Could it be spy ware?I think it has something to do with O/S because "System Restore" now won't restore to previous dates.Can someone help me to clean up "System Restore" and how do I get O/S to stay in "Standby"?Any and all help would certainly be appreciated,tnx Jim Lombard
    Have Microsoft Regclean version 4.1.afraid to use it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CPU won't stay in Standby,System Restore broke

I fixed my problems gang.Purged ( by shuting off "System Restore) rebooted, then turned "System Restore" back on and Rebooted again.
    Warning to you, if you limit the amount of Disk space for System Restore, you can run into this problem.2375mb is default on a 20gb hard drive. I had cut mine back to 875mb,and this causes problems with "System Restore".
    Also I believe this also had an effect on my Bios because the CPU would not stay in "Standby" for more than 30 minuets.
    Now everything is working great. Tnx.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you solved the problem, Jim. I wanted to add that I think it's highly unlikely that anything in Windows affected your system's BIOS - Windows reads the settings there, but does not change them. A more likely cause is that you have some hardware attached that is/was waking the computer up from Standby. Modems, network cards, and a few other devices are typical culprits.

Also worth noting is the fact that cutting back the space used by System Restore should not cause problems, it simply limits the number of restore points available to you. Windows ME is notoriously buggy, this could just be one of those "Windows ME" things. At any rate I'm glad you got it working!
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, I really rely on you guys to help me out!
    Yes, not staying in Standby is probably some hardware item Q ing the disk. I agree.And I agree Me is a buggy O/S.I don't know why "System Restore" went south on me but all of a sudden it would not restore back to a fixed date.
    So all seems to be well now.
    Thanks again Mark, and standby for the next Catastrophy.