2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

pcAnywhere setup

Oh, woe is me! Here I am again working on something about which I am virtually clueless. In a short while I am going to be away from my present location for about 6 months and decided that the solution relative to computer access was to set up remote access software so I can work remotely on my computer here from the computer where I will be. The computers on both ends will be running Windows XP Home using a broadband (high speed) Internet connection. Pursuant to this idea I purchased Symantec's pcAnywhere v11.0 which I chose because it is so widely used and appears to have better security than some of the low cost/no cost solutions. I installed the software on my computer and also on a friend's computer without problems. Now, however, I cannot seem to make it work properly (not at all, actually). My friend's computer is acting as the remote to proof this concept before I leave the area. I think we have properly configured both machines (what do I know about that???) but when he tries to connect to my ("Host") computer, the connection starts and then we get the message "Cannot attach to the specified device", or some such. I have have closed down my Zone Alarm (free) firewall and reverted to the native Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall . I am told that Ports 5631 and 5632 need to be open to use pcAnywhere and have tried to manually open both (using info from MS KB308127). However, Shields Up! now reports that Port 5631 is indeed open but Port 5632 is shown as closed. I don't know if this has anything to do with our inability to connect but whatever the problem(s) might be, I would certainly appreciate any help that I could get. As my buddy and I are fond of saying: "I'm sure it will be a simple solution once we know what the problem is."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pcAnywhere setup

Well, I have used PCAnywhere for a long time up to version 9.2 (I think). I finally uninstalled it, because I got to where I never used it much. When I used it, it was only with a dial up between several W98 boxes. Me thinks that setting it up with broadband is much different, so I cannot help you there, but, if it needs certain ports to connect to, and those ports are closed, then that seems the most likely immediate source of the failure to connect.