Thread: mapped drives

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

mapped drives

I'm having a problem with my machine duplicating a network folder (mapped as G as mapped drives for every other available drive letter. (see sample)

I can manually disconnect each duplicate but they will return without even shutting down or logging off. My IT department hasn't been able to solve this one. Any clues?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: mapped drives

I remember this problem cropping up before, particularly on NT4, but can't for the life of me find the solution for it.
    Are you running FindFast by any chance? - I have an idea this may have been a cause....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I turned off FastFind (which I didn't know was running) and the problem appears to be gone.

THANKS!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lief,

I have a couple of related questions. Referencing Zeno's screen shot.

Question #1. In Windows 2000 (SP4) and Windows XP (SP1) how come the network icons (when connected) are always displayed with an "X" through them? How can I persist the connection? Why must I always click on say the "G:" drive to reconnect? Why doesn't this icon just stay "connected"?

Question #2. When I log into my Win2K machines (not connected to the network) I get a message box about not being able to map the "G:" drive. I understand this, as I have not yet connected. However, Win2K pops up a message about wanting to "restore the Network Connection" with two check boxes: a). Do not try to restore, [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]. No further messages Click Yes/No to continue restoring.
    --- Finally, my question is: Is there some registry setting I could set to bypass this? It's annoying every morning the same thing, and it holds up my login process. I would like it to be automated for option "b" and continue.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks

#1.) Take a look here: How Autodisconnect Works in Windows NT and Windows 2000. I'm pretty sure it applies to WinXp also.
    #2.) If you logon to a domain you can have a logon script running from the server that assigns the network mappings. That way if you do not have a network connection it won try to map the drives.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks for the heads up on the article. I followed it and some other linked ones. But my problem still persisted. Let me guess, I would have to have my IT guys run that command on the actual servers, right? Won't make a difference on my PC, huh?

I'll send them an email and ask.

As for the logon script, I'm not sure that would work. I connect to my office via VPN. I'm not sure (or if I want to) get the VPN servers to run the scripts for me.

Administrator
    Thanks

You don't need the VPN servers to do anything unless they are the domain controllers also. If you are logging in to a domain you need the domain controller on which you login to run the script. It is a simple task to setup. Plus, it can't hurt to e-mail/talk to your IT/network folks and ask them to help.

Joe