sfjohnson

Spell Check Problems

I'm trying to enter someone's name into an Excel cell, but Excel always changes it! The person's name is 'Alway', and Excel "always" changes it to include the trailing 's', despite every effort to prevent it from happening (I've even tried entering the formula = 'Alway' which fails, because Excel inserts the 's' between the y and the ' mark)

Aargh! Anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks!

text

Bob W

Re: Spell Check Problems

Go to Autocorrect in the Tools menu. Go down the list to alway. Delete it. What's happening is every time you type in Alway, it autocorrects it to always.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Tools, Autocorrect, uncheck Replace Text As You Type, add "Alway" to your custom dictionary, then turn Replace Text As You Type back on.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tell them to change their name.

Microsoft wouldn't issue a product with a bug - it's a <font color=red>feature</font color=red> which in this case is telling them that their name is wrong.

New Lounger
    Thanks

As long as you are aware of the AUTOCORRECT feature, it is a feature instead of a bug. You can modify the autocorrect entries (as the other users stated above) which will prevent the text replacement in the future. But, it is also useful to know that the UNDO (or Ctrl-Z) allows you to cancel the text replacement "on the fly."