New Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting Autoshapes (Office XP Pro)

I am trying to generate a Word doc out of VB code which will prepare the text and format of the Word doc. Essentially, I am trying to create an existing document from VB without using a template etc. The reasons are many, but this is my requirement.
    The original doc has some autoshapes in it - mostly lines - which I need this macro/VB to generate. I cannot see if this is possible. I have tried recording a macro to see what the editor would create and autoshapes seem to be unusable.
    Can anyone confirm I am scuppered here, or if not, give me a clue as to how I could do this?
    As an example, I have a Header for all pages - it has some text and a nice line across the width of the header created from an autoshape - a simple line! So from VB, I can create the Header, put in and format the text, but the autoshape line does not seem possible.
    Help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Autoshapes (Office XP Pro)

Look up the AddLine method of the Shapes collection. Example:

Dim shpLine As Shape
    Set shpLine = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Shapes.AddLine(144, 10, 504, 10)

The numbers are top, left, bottom, right, measured in points (72 points = 1 inch) from the anchor of the line. Similar methods exist for other AutoShape objects.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

A very big thanks for this - exactly what I was after. Can't believe I missed it.....

Ken.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As an aside to using AutoShapes.

I too like to use lines to delimit headers and footers.

What I do is to use the Paragraph Formatting Borders and Shading function to add a line border to either the top or bottom of the paragraph. I find this easier than drawing lines.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell