New Lounger
    Thanks

Odd custom menus corruption problem (2000 SP3)

I develop and support a set of Word templates and addins for a firm and occasionally find that custom toolbars become corrupted. What happens is that the entries in one toolbar's menu suddenly get replaced by those from another toolbar's menu. This can happen between two custom toolbars, or as I 've just noticed, between one of mine and Adobe's Acrobat menu appended to the Standard menu.

I perhaps haven't explained that too well, but if you think of all the File menu items under Format as well as in their normal place, that should give the general idea.

I have no ideas apart from that it is generally related to high memory usage: many docs or applications being open. Has happened to many users. The problems never seem to cause any stability issues, but once they appear they require all Word windows to be closed and reopened, although they occasionally require a log off and log on again.

The "imposter" menu items appear to work and dont give any errors.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this or has any bright ideas.

Thanks

Re: Odd custom menus corruption problem (2000 SP3)

One of my colleagues used some Word add-ins that did something with documents she wrote on her Palm unit. That add-in would occasionally take over a sub-menu of my add-in. No explanation could be found. However, it could be a conflict among the ID numbers of the controls. I believe every control is supposed to have a unique ID number. I'm not sure how Office assigns these numbers when users add their own controls, but if the developers of two add-ins hard-coded the same ID numbers, bad things are likely to happen.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll check out the ID numbers but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been set manually. I haven't yet checked whether if you use code to look at the contents of the rogue menu whether you see the "imposter" items or the originals, I'll post up what I find.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Elliot,

Just wondering: are the custom toolbars/menus that are exhibiting this behavior created programatically, or manually (via 'Customize')? I encountered this problem once in Word 2000, and the only possible smoking gun we had was that the menus were created programatically. We got rid of that code and rebuilt the menus manually, and the problem went away - although may have been just coincidence...

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

They are definitely created manually.

Only ever seen on Word 2000 on NT. A minority of users are using the same addins and templates on Word 2002 on Win2k and so far have not reported this issue. We're all migrating soon so I hope that will be the end of it.