3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles don't work properly (Word 2003 WinXP)

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    Hi,

I have used the explanation in <post#=365952>post 365952</post#>, by Karen, to define my headings.

I made 4 headings:
    App. A 1 through App D 1
    I assigned a key to each level such that I could create e.g. App B 2 when first App B 1 was made and then I can make App B 1.1 when making it just after App B 1 and the same for App B 2.

I get App B1, App B 2 etc. through App D 1, App D 2 etc working properly but NOT App A 1.

I can make App A 1, App A 2 etc. but trying to make App A 2.2 only gives me App A 1.1, App A 1.2 etc.

I have carefully looked through the settings for each style and to me they look the same.

Can anyone tell me if this may be caused by a bug or is it something special I have to do for the first setting (App A 1). I thought they all are independent of eavh other.

I have used short cut keys as follows:

Alt+a+1 gives App A 1
    Alt+a+2 gives App A 1.1
    Alt+a+1 ones more gives App A 2 then
    Alt+a+2 should give App A 2.1 but only gives App A 1.1 as explained above. The others work properly

Regards
    Bj

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles don't work properly (Word 2003 WinXP)

Hi Bjorn:
    Assuming you set up the styles & linked them to numbering properly, then it should work. I don't have Word 2003 to test with. Could you post a document with the styles, numbering, & shortcut keys set up. Just create a document from your template & customize the shortcut keys, but this time make sure that the changes are saved in your document (rather than your template), & we can take a look at it.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles don't work properly (Word 2003 WinXP)

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    Thanks Phil,

I continued searching and found <post#=350911>post 350911</post#> by Stuart and there he says:

Define everything about each of your 18 styles, except for the numbering first

Then put the cursor in a Heading 1 style, visit the bullets and numbering box and set the numbering for all 9 heading styles before you exit the box, make sure you use the More button to associate each level with the correct style.

Then put the cursor in an H1-App style, visit the bullets and numbering box and set the numbering for all 9 appendix styles before you exit

I presumably hadn't set the two levels "before you exit" the box.

Now it looks as it works OK.

Thanks for a quick anser and good night! (It's 23:45 and a working day tomorrow)

Regards
    Bj