Lounger
    Thanks

page nos -- 2 schemes (Word 2K, SR1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 27-Apr-04 15:56. Made the link live.)</P>We have some docs that are collections of little docs. Author wants all the little docs to have their own page numbering (1 of 2, 2 of 2) in the header, but an overall X of Y page numbering in the footer (1 of 33, 2 of 33 ... 33 of 33). I read Knowledge Base Article 155199 about this, but that deals only with the Y in page X of Y. I put in the fields and that worked out fine. My problem is trying to get the X in the footer to number sequentially thru the entire document, not restart at 1 for each section as the one in the header does. Is there a solution?

Thanks

Re: page nos -- 2 schemes (Word 2K, SR1)

The "solution" described in the article is to substitute a formula for the page number that adds the "current" page number to the number of pages in each preceding section. With each section the formula becomes longer (and a little more complicated). There might be better ways, but because Word does not offer a {

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

HI Nancy:
    As Jefferson pointed out, there is no easy formula. One way to do this with separate documents is mentioned in <post#=27832>post 27832</post#>. By the way, the article that you referred to shows how to have two separate Xs in the X of Y page scheme, so it too should work.
    Hope this helps,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you. I tried the first solution in the article. I should have tried the 2nd. Some of it didn't seem too clear. Now I've waded thru the 2nd solution and it works fine. Thanks again.