Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt db (Access 97)

We have a well used Access 97 database, front and backend. Last night the backend got corrupted. I found the table, found one corrupt record and cannot delete it. We cannot repair and compact (have not tried jetcomp.exe). As long as nobody tries to get into the corrupt table, the frontend works fine. Is there any hope for the backend? Opening it, repairing, compacting give the same error message:
    A missing index is referred to. The missing index is in the autonumber field in the corrupt table. I have the table fixed at this point, but cannot get it back into the backend. Importing tables into new db has failed.

Any help/idea is most appreciated.

deutsch

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt db (Access 97)

Can you import the *rest* of the tables into a new database? Do you have XP? I managed to clean up something like this recently by using 2002 and converting the file format, then converting it back after fixing the balky table by doing a maketable query on just the rest of the fields in the bad table. Then I edited that table to include a memo field and did an append from all but the bad record, which was identified in the conversion errors table. I suspect you have a corrupt memo field, and you can search for threads on that problem here in the Lounge.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. I cannot not import the other tables into a new database. The problem field is the autonumber, it had lost its index. I have fixed the corrupt table in the front end. However, I cannot get it back into the back end. I will search through the forum and see what I can find.
    Thanks for the help.

deutsch

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another thing you might try, assuming you can open the back-end (and it appears you can since you were able to get at the corrupt table), is to export each individual table to a new database. I've had that work when I couldn't import things, but could open the database.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interestingly, I cannot get to the backend. We see no objects when we try to import the tables from the backend. I used a maketable query to get the good records from the frontend. I used that table to add the index back in and it worked. But I cannot get the new clean table back into the backend - I named it something other the original table and was hoping to export it into the backend, then delete the bad table and rename the clean table. No go.
    We are now working with a 2 day old restored copy of the database backend, a poor but workable compromise. I will try again exporting or importing the tables from yesterday. It has not worked before.
    The corrupt table is interesting - I have never seen an autonumber index disappear before!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions,

deutsch

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That is a new one! I've never seen a back-end where I could see the tables in it from a linked database, but not get into it. Can you use a make-table query against the other linked tables?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have not either. First time for me.

I have not tried to make table all the other tables and am trying not to - there are 50 tables in this database. I may have to if nothing else works.
    Thanks,
    deutsch