3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rules have gone missing (Outlook 2000 SP3)

I have a user who states his rules have gone missing. Apparently when he started Outlook, he was confronted with the "Which rules do you want to use: client or server" He chose Server and his Rules were gone. So he closed, reopened, and chose Client.....still no rules. So I have two questions: Why does that message suddenly pop up sometimes? And does anyone know how to get the rules back. I read somewhere on here that those rules are stored in a .RWZ file. That's good to know, but how does one extract the rules from that file (assuming that they are in there).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules have gone missing (Outlook 2000 SP3)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 28-Apr-04 12:53. Corrected re Rules file.)</P>The "client or server rules?"message is usually caused by client side Rules being changed (added/edited/deleted) while not connected to the Server. As an EU, I always select 'Client' when I get this warning.

The Rules aren't kept in the RWZ: an RWZ file is a backup of Rules created by exporting them. If there is a recent RWZ file the EU may be able to recover from it. If there's an RWZ file, in Tools | Rules | Options |Import Rules (in the 2003 menus), browse to the RWZ file and import it.

Edit: see <post#=355873>post 355873</post#> regarding rules. I stand corrected, apparently Rules are in a separate file for 2000 and prior (I have a question about this, but don't have an installed 2000 or prior to check on). For 2002 and 2003 they are in the PST.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Re: Rules have gone missing (Outlook 2000 SP3)

For Outlook 97/2000, there is a separate .RWZ file for each profile. So, if the profile is named MS Exchange Settings, for example, you should find the corresponding RWZ file in the user's Application DataMicrosoftOutlook folder.