New Lounger
    Thanks

RD fields for long docs (Word XP)

I'm currently using INCLUDETEXT fields to assemble separate Word docs into a longer book (~400 pp). Want to try RD fields instead, but I can't get anything other than TOC entries to work. It won't include or print out the referenced Word documents in sequence. Several places on the web, including Microsoft, imply that you can build and print large docs using RD fields, but they seem to leave out some detail I need!
    Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: RD fields for long docs (Word XP)

Hi Jayork,

RD fields can only pull in TOC, TOA, or INDEX entries - so that you can compile a TOC, TOA, or INDEX from multiple source documents. From the Word help file:

Identifies a file to include when you create a table of contents, a table of authorities, or an index with the TOC, TOA, or INDEX field. You must manually set starting page numbers and sequence values in files named in RD fields before updating the TOC, TOA, or INDEX field. The RD field doesn't display a result in the document. You cannot unlink an RD field.

RD fields that reference a series of files must be in the same order as the files in the final document. For example, files Chap1 and Chap2 both have an index entry for "apricot" on the first page. The first page number in Chap1 is 1, and the first page number in Chap2 is 100.

If you need to incorporate the text, you'll need to stick with INCLUDETEXT fields etc.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RD fields for long docs (Word XP)

Thanks for your quick reply. I was afraid of that. If anyone knew of a way to make RDs do what I wanted, I knew it would be here.

Thanks again,
    Jay