Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewalls (6.0)

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: Firewalls (6.0)

Jim,
    In Control Panel | administrative Tools open the services applet. You should be able to find the Messenger service. Stop the service. The change the startup profile from automatic to disabled. The service is only used to send administrative messages usually by a network administrator to PCs that may not be easy to reach physically. In a home network you'll probably never need it. Note: there are some programs (I can't enumerate them) that rely on this service being active. After creating your home network if you have trouble with a program communcating over your network you may need to re-enable the service.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know why I didn't see it there in the first place. Probably because I saw "High" instead of what I was looking for "Stealth". That setting is already set to High but the Trusted Zone Security was set on Medium. I turned that on High too to see if that will help.

Thanks for the feedback.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, I am running W2K. I found the Services icon in Administrative Tools and I stopped the Messenger Service. I will see if that helps solve the problem.

I get those messages from messagestop.net about the security of my PC. I couldn't think of why it was getting through Zone Alarm even when I am not using IE.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Thanks

Jim,
    Have you tried the Shields Up test yet?

Mentioned in my <post#=368839>post 368839</post#>
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

Yes I did do the Shields Up test and I followed their suggestions. I thought they were very helpful and would encourage others to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

With all the other suggestions I've followed, it looks like I am no longer getting those ads or any other mischief programs popping up and I hope none are hiding.

Thanks to everyone's help!
    You know it&#39;s time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12