2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not Showing all Graphics (Explorer 6.0.2800.1106/Windows 98)

Help,
    In E-Mail, I use Yahoo, Some graphics are not showing. I have a copy of Netscape 4.7 and it show the graphics, but has other problems. I have looked through this site as far back a 2002. I have tried many different combinations on the Tools-Internet-Advance screen and have had no success. I have Expand Alt Images on and in Multimedia I have Show Download Place Holder, Online Media Content and PlaySounds off. Play sound I found slows downloading of the page and I do not have sound on, so why use it. Yes I did try this with it on. I have no fire walls or things like that on this system. I do have Norton looking for the bad guys.
    So now since I am at my wits end (a very very short traveled path). I hope some one here can point me into a new direction?
    Thanks,
    Sarge

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not Showing all Graphics (Explorer 6.0.2800.1106/Windows 98)

Hi Sarge:
    There is a post that I can't look for right now that has a number of solutions to try...you can search for "red x" (no quotes). However, what usually works for me is to either refresh after choosing Encoding: Western European or go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add_Remove Programs/scroll for "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 etc." & choose Add/Remove. Then select the repair option. You will then need to reboot. This should fix it.

Note: you must then go to Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections tab & UNcheck "perform security check...". You may decide to delete all the extra IE shortcuts that it puts in Quick Launch, Desktop, & Start Menu/Programs. It also adds another SendTo/Desktop (as shortcut) & adds an Explorer shortcut to the Start Menu/Programs submenu.

Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I am having similar problems with IE 6.0.2800.1106IC on a Win2k machine except that some graphics appears but text and other graphics does not. I have tried the Repair option but it hasn't improved the situation. The odd thing is that these problems only occur for some users on my machine. For example, everything displays properly for me, but not for the other users. It also seems to affect Outlook 2003, they can't view anything on the Navigation panel or inside mail items (but the inbox pane works OK), which I presume means that the html display engine is not working correctly for all users.
    These problems have only recently started and I am not sure whether they have come after upgrading to Office2003, or upgrading IE with MicroSoft bug fixes, or after changing my motherboard as they don't affect my account and I am the main user of the machine. The other users are not in the Administrator group, so can't run IE repair from their accounts.
    In its first manifestation, this also affected Word2003, where no text would display in a document, but that seems to have gone away after creating a new account for the user.
    I have tried everything I can think of to fix this, upgrading all s/w; installing latest video drivers; disabling Norton Internet Security; virus scan, etc.
    Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not any additional ones. You can search this forum for Red X, as I suggested in the other post. There are various settings in IE, as well as encoding issues, & the Repair feature. As far as I recall, there is no 100% guaranteed permanent solution. Sorry.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I had a look there and didn't find anything that looked as if it addressed my problem. I am not getting the Red Xs, but rather incorrect operation of the browser in trying to display stuff. Anyway, I uninstalled IE6 to get back to IE5.5, that didn't work. I reinstalled IE6 and all recent updates, and that didn't work. I made the user a member of the Administrator's group and that worked. Now they can see everything perfectly in IE and Outlook. So it looks like a permissions problem on some dlls or other files.
    I dont really want to give all users Admin permissions. You should imagine that giving that level of access to two 12 year olds and a non-computer literate spouse is not going to make me sleep well at night as I use the computer a lot in my business.
    Any suggestions as to how to identify the culprit files?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I'm just not sure. Hopefully, someone else may have some suggestions. You could experiment with the permissions that you are giving users to see if there is some setting that is preventing the graphics from displaying, but I don't know which setting would help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There was a post here not very log ago with a link to an MSKB doc that said some people are having problems in IE with grapics not displaying and the only temporary work-around was to hit refresh to get the graphics. In other words you must wait for the bug fix to fix the bug fix. Try refresh and see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Final update on my problem.
    After trying a few times to get some info from Microsoft kb, I finally hit upon the right search text and got two very interesting articles: kb266118 & kb244600. These led me to run mmc.exe, open a copy of the database WinntSecuritysecedit.sdb and then import the template Defltwk.inf from the WinntInf folder. This sets up permissions for all files in the Winnt folder with the security setting contained in the template. It also changes your security policy settings, which is a bit of a pain.
    Bingo! IE, Outlook, etc. now work for all users.
    Simple, only it took about four days of my time to get to a recognition of the problem and arrive at this solution. The system logs provided absolutely no assistance.