4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using an O2 XDA II as a modem

Dear loungers,

This is not exactly networking but I couldn't see anywhere else to post it so here goes...

I Have an O2 XDA II bought specifically because it can, or is supposed to, be usable as a modem with a laptop. I have an HP compaq nx 9010 loaded with Windows XP. Needless to say the support for this functionality seems to be abismal and the documentation is not complete/correct. So thus far, after many bungles, I have managed to install the modem drivers and adjusted the initialisation code as instructed. I am connecting using the USB port which means on starting the wireless modem program on the XDA I have to select USB and start the modem, this seems to work. I also seem to be able to start the connection on the laptop - I got all excited here as getting this far this has taken two weeks to date! - only to be told that the remote computer had terminated the connection - the error is 628. I imagine the remote computer is the XDA, this shows a data connection (it has an "x" symbol in the top bar). The log on the XDA does show an error but I don't know how to interpret it, the last few lines read...

AT
    AT

OK
    ATL0M1&H0&I0&R1X4
    ATL0M1&H0&I0&R1X4

ERROR

I think this is probbaly impossible to resolve using email as there are so many variables but I am now desperate, can anyone help???

n.b. I am writing and connecting in the UK

many thanks..................... liz

Thanks

Re: Using an O2 XDA II as a modem

What is the thing you refer to, an O2 XDA II ? A mobile phone ?

Anyway, that inscrutable language is the Hayes "AT" command set. I don't remember how to read it, but you probably can find a reference to it out on the web somewhere.

Perhaps more helpfully, if this requires some hacking, you might find an "enthusiast" web site that gives you all sorts of tricks for the thing.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson

Read all about the device here. O2 is more properly called mmO2 (yes, very stupid name!) is what used to be BT's (British Telecom) mobile business before they sold it off.

I can't answer the question, though, other than to decode partially the AT command string...

L0 speaker volume low, or off
    M1 speaker on until remote modem answers
    &H0 probably modem-specific
    &I0 probably modem-specific
    &R1 (perhaps) Clear-To-Send is always active
    X4 detect both busy signal and dial tone OR, maybe, report all indications

In other words, not particularly exciting. The only practical way to debug this would be to find out which AT command causes the ERROR return, by issuing each individually, as in ATL0, ATM1, and so on. But the chances of your software being able to do this is probably zero - I last did this sort of thing in the late 1980s...!!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

This probably is the point at which I would show up in the store and refuse to leave until they made it work. Nothing worse for business than a loud, unhappy customer in the showroom!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You could try Jefferson's suggestion, but the chances of anyone in the shop even having the slightest clue about what you were complaining are remote in the extreme. Start with the managing person, and work upwards...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...