Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text Form Field Formatting Odd When Data Changed (10.5815.4219 SP2)

It sounds as though you have somehow managed to enable "Track changes" in your version of the document. The one I located on the web site you refer to does not have this problem. Is the Trk at the bottom centre of your screen shown in bold?

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (4.5 KB, 0 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text Form Field Formatting Odd When Data Changed (10.5815.4219 SP2)

edited by StuartR to activate link - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I am revising a 3rd party form created for Word 2000 in Word XP 10.5815.4219 SP2 (an employment application -- see http://www.dashr.state.or.us/jobs/). When I change previously entered data in a text field, instead of the default black Arial text, it appears as underlined red text. (In the Font Properties dialogue box, neither underlining nor any text effects are selected.) The only way I can get black text to appear is to unprotect the document and enter the data. However, this has the side effect of replacing the form field with the text. When I reprotect the document (Protect document for: forms), I lose all the data I have previously entered.

How can I change information previously entered in the text fields of the form and have it appear with the proper text formating?

Thanks,
    Terry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One additional comment to Stuart's post. There are a couple ways to prevent losing data in form fields when you re-protect a document. To prevent losing data in text form fields, you can select the fields & press Ctrl+F11. This locks the fields so that they don't update. You can still change the text by typing over it while the form is protected. That technique won't work with check box & drop down form fields. For that, you'll need to add some macros to a global template. See <A target="_blank" HREF="http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/TurnFmFlfResetOff.htm">How to change the behaviour of Word's document protection, so users

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to Stuart and Phil. Somehow, Track Changes did get turned on (the option is blanked out on the tools menu, so don't ask me how). Unprotecting the document, turning off Track Changes, then reprotecting it using Ctrl+F11seems to have fixed the problem without any loss of data. As long as I back-arrow into the fill-in field, I can change the data without overwriting the entire field.

Terry