New Lounger
    Thanks

Error Number 3320 (Access 2002)

On some machines on which I install an .mde I receive an error "Function is not available in expressions in table-level validation expression", but on some machines it runs without issue. I'm using the Packaging Wizard with the run time version of AXP to set up on machines without Access.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Number 3320 (Access 2002)

That sounds like one of the references is not valid on some of the target machines. Unfortunately, you can't test interactively since the machines don't have the full version of Access (and you can't view modules in an .MDE anyway.)

Does the .MDB database you created the .MDE from use controls that are not native to Access? If so, you must take care to install the corresponding file(s). And does it have references to other apps, such as Word, Excel or Outlook? If so, do the target machines have the same versions of these apps?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, sir.

I am using the Common Dialog control to browse for files, so that might be it.

I am exporting data in an .xls format, but I don't actually call Excel, merely use the TransferSpreadsheet method, so I would not expect that to be the issue.

How do I determine the name(s) of the additional file(s) to include in the package, based upon the control?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you activate the Visual Basic Editor in the MDB, and select Tools | References..., you'll probably see a reference to the Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0. If you select it, you will see the corresponding filename will be in the lower half of the dialog. On my system, it is C:WindowsSystem32Comdlg32.ocx.

By the way, Access 2002 has a built-in FileDialog. This only works in Access 2002 and up, not in Access 2000 or earlier. In all versions of Access, you can display the Open or Save as dialog using Windows API calls without needing to distribute a file or setting a reference. See for example <post#=297358>post 297358</post#>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you again.

Forgive me for being obtuse, but I expected the Packaging Wizard to identify the dependencies, and include the files. Is there a setting I can control which will force the process?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, others will have to answer that question.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In general the Packaging wizard in Office XP Developer will identify what files are necessary and include them. If however you are creating .mde files, then the workstation is expected to have whatever objects (ocxs, dlls, etc.) are referenced. An .mde simply removes the VBA source statements and locks forms and reports.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, I did not anticipate that MDEs would be treated differently from MDBs. Once I manually inserted the dependent files, I have not had a recurrence of the problem.