2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97, 2000 Last Accessed ( 97, 2000 )

Hi,

We have users with Access 97 & 2000 who don't use/need it. When we deploy Office XP we don't want to deploy Access 2002 to those who don't need it.

Is there a way (in Win XP) to determine the date & time msaccess.exe was last accessed?

TIA,

Jimmy Lee

Thanks

Re: Access 97, 2000 Last Accessed ( 97, 2000 )

Using Windows Explorer (and using DETAILS view), you can right click on any of the column headers (Name, Size, Type, etc.), click on More..... and add "Date Accessed" to the details you want displayed. Then simply navigate to the appropriate folder and file.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

Thanks for the suggestion.

I should have been cleared; I need something that can queried by Castanet Marimba; a registry entry would be ideal.

TIA,

Jimmy Lee

TIA.

Jimmy Lee

Thanks

Perhaps someone else knows of the registry entry. There are many entries for Explorer but I don't know which one controls that particular switch (if there is one).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I came up with dir msaccess.exe /ta where t is for timefield and a is last accessed.

But it appears that something (the Office Shortcut Bar) is updating the last accessed time to today even though Access (msaccess.exe) hasn't been used.

Is there some Access file (eg dll) that might be useful to determine that Access hasn't been used in some time? The file's last access date must get updated only when Access is actually used.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Jimmy Lee

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As long as Access is pointed to the default security file (SYSTEM.MDW), you could check and see the last time it was accessed - it isn't normally updated unless security changes are made. However the challenge is if you search for the file, it will have been accessed when you look at it. You might be better off to check the most recent file list for Access, and look at the most recent database to see when it was last opened.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendall,

I thought about these two. In the case of the system.mdw, I think alot of users haven't implemented workgroups & security. So I think the system.mdw wouldn't work for us. Am I wrong? I checked the date accessed for it on a couple of test pcs where we tried Opening Access. The date accessed didn't (seem to) change. When would the date access changed for the system.mdw (especially if workgroups haven't been implemented.

I think the Most Recently Used files entry in the registry might work ... at least from the pov of giving us a list of usrs/pcs that we could further check (eg email) if they use Access.

Thanks,

Jimmy Lee

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Access does have to reference the current default security file in order to determine whether the Admin user has a password - I've never tested it to see if the affected system.mdw file access date is changed however. So that may not be a possibiltiy. The Most Recent file list is probably the best bet.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know anything about "Marimba", but if you want to use VBA to get current user's Access MRU list, a procedure like this example can be used:

Public Sub GetMRUList()

Dim intVers As Integer
    Dim intMRU As Integer
    Dim n As Long
    Dim strFile As String
    Dim strDate As String

For intVers = 8 To 10
    For n = 1 To 9
    strFile = GetRegValString(HKCU, "SoftwareMicrosoftOffice" & _
    CStr(intVers) & ".0AccessSettings", "MRU" & CStr(n))
    If Len(strFile) > 0 Then
    strDate = GetDateLastModified(strFile)
    Else
    strFile = "Reg Key/Value not found."
    End If

Debug.Print "Access " & intVers & ".0: MRU" & n & ": " & strFile & " " & _
    "Last Modified: " & strDate
    Next n
    Debug.Print
    Next intVers

End Sub

See attached text file (exported VBA code module) for full details. Windows API functions are used to query Registry, and to get the "Last Modified" date for each file listed, the necessary declaration are included in attached. The "Last Accessed" date is not very useful - this property is updated any time you access file (not necessarily opening it) - for example, by viewing Properties in Windows Explorer. It is also updated if you access the file programatically - run the GetFileDateTime sub shown in attached, the Last Accessed date will be updated. The "Last Modified" date is updated whenever you open an .MDB (or .MDE) file, whether you change anything or not, so is a better barometer for determining how frequently the user uses Access than the Last Accessed date.

The GetMRUList sub queries Registry for MRU1 thru MRU9 values for Access versions 8.0 (97), 9.0 (2000), and 10.0 (XP/2002). This can be modified as needed. If key/value not found, it'll print out "Reg Key/Value not found". Note: if key/value found and file name printed out, but "Date Modified" is blank, that indicates the MRU item is no longer valid, usually because the file was renamed, moved, or deleted (the MRU list does not automatically update itself). Also note, if Access is open, the Registry MRU list is not updated to reflect current session till Access is closed. This tested OK using Access 2K on both WIN 2000 and WIN XP. On work system, correctly retrieved data for .MDB files residing on network (see sample output in attachment). Other options would be to recursively search the user's "C:" drive for .MDB/.MDE/.MDW files, and testing Last Modified date, but that would take longer and would not account for network database files the user may have opened.

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

PS: Should probably note, the VBA FileDateTime function is a much simpler way to get a file's Last Modified date than the API methods used in code example:

? FileDateTime("C:AccessTemp.mdb")
    5/5/2004 3:42:57 PM

Also, the FileSystemObject (FSO) File object has DateCreated, DateLastAccessed, and DateLastModified properties that return these values for a specified file. The reason for the more complicated API approach is that the sample code was copied from a module that involved modifying these properties programatically, which requires using the API functions. The FSO properties are read-only. So the sample code posted can be simplified if desired.

HTH

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jimmy:
    Uh...this may be a somewhat different take than the others have, but have you considered asking people whether they need it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Yeah, sort of .... There probably 35K pcs in the company. A Marimba query showed up 19K pcs with different versions of Access; this was very surprising. Also, in working with testers and requesters for Access or Office XP, I've talked to people who had Access and didn't even know it.

We are trying to come up with a deployment plan but we don't want to deal 35K users individually and we don't want to deploy Office XP to someone who still wants Office 97 or 2000.

If we can identify who has Access but hasn't used it we can try to 'ask' them (some mass email?).

Jimmy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll share it with my teammates to see if we can use your suggestion.

Regards,

Jimmy Lee

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is it possible that you have some sort of Access run-time application deployed to a significant number of your workstations? Unless your standard install of Office is usually the Professional version, the percentage of Access installs does seem high.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendall,

This is a good point. I'll talk to some of the developers about their deployment of runtime.

Thank you.

Jimmy