Thanks

Misbehavinging PERSONAL.XLS (2002)

My PERSONAL.XLS file is still where it has always been, but it no longer automatically loads when I open Excel. Also, some buttons have disappeared from my custom toolbar. My operating system is Windows XP Professional.

Any hints on what may be happening here?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Misbehavinging PERSONAL.XLS (2002)

Excel 2002 loads - or should load - all files from Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART (this is the default location for Personal.xls) and also, if present, from the folder specified in "At startup, open all files in" in the General tab of Tools | Options...

Customized toolbar settings are stored in a file named Excel10.xlb in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcel.

Note: Application Data is a hidden folder, so you must show hidden files and folders (setting in the View tab of Tools | Folder Options... in Windows Explorer.)

Both Personal.xls and Excel10.xlb can become corrupt. If you have recent backup copies of them, restore them to the default locations, and see if that solves the problem. Otherwise, take a look at Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>

When everything is back to normal (I hope it won't be too hard), make backup copies of Personal.xls and Excel10.xlb.

Thanks

Hmmm. It still doesn't work. I tried all the suggestions. Having removed everything from XLSTART, and having removed Excel10.xlb, Excel opens fine, with the default buttons.

When I record a macro, it saves into a brand-new PERSONAL.XLS, just as I command it to.

When I restart Excel, it does NOT load PERSONAL.XLS. I can load it manually (from the XLSTART folder where it was created) and it includes the macro I recorded above.

I also did an Office re-install and chose the repair option, though I did it before I tried all the above.

Any suggestions?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have had a problem with Personal.xls, Excel may have labeled it as suspect.
    In Excel, select Help | About Microsoft Excel.
    Click the button near the bottom labeled "Disabled Items..."
    If Personal.xls is listed, select it and click Enable.

Thanks

That fixed it. Thanks.

Maybe this tip should be added to the general reference on startup that is mentioned higher up in this thread. There's also a path in that thread that includes ...Office..., where in Office XP it should be ...Office10... (as I remember it when I was following the suggested steps).
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll forward it to Jan Karel Pieterse.