Thread: Beeping sound

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Beeping sound

Does anyone know how to get rid of the beeping sound in Windows? After some work on my computer the other day to deal with this lsass.exe virus, I've started getting beeping noises with many actions--mostly prompt-stye dialog boxes. I've dug into Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia and eliminated as much sound as possible, but this annoying beeping continues.

Thanks,
    Bob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Beeping sound

It may be a bit fundamental, but you could try disconnecting the speaker? Possibly it plugs into the motherboard...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Mr. Bob,

Are you SURE you have disabled ALL of the items in the "Sounds & Audio" sections?
    Are these sounds coming from your external sound speakers or from the internal built in "speaker"?
    Are you getting them at boot up when the BIOS may be trying to tell you something?

You can also do what I did a long time ago. I wired BOTH internal & external speakers to a set of mini toggle switches and installed them on one of the blank 51/4 drive covers. Now if I want to listen to regular audio, I can just flip the external speakers to "on" and not have bother setting the sound level every time. Most times, I keep the internal speaker "off".

It DOES sound like you have missed one of the sound options though.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Pardon me for saying this, folks, but Bob, it doesn't sound to me like you've gotten rid of whatever it was that plagued you. I don't know if you're talking about routine Windows sounds or you've still got a snake in the woodpile somewhere. How did you rid yourself of your virus problem?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How many beeps? Are they long and/or short?

The main point is that beeps are supposed to get your attention because something is not right. Does it beep when you boot into Safe Mode?

What version of Windows? If you have XP (Home or Pro) you can look in Admin tools, Event Viewer for the error messages associated with the beeps. The time stamps should help pin point the event.

I'm with Al, sounds like your system is not quite as clean as it should be.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────