New Lounger
    Thanks

CustoM WBS Number & Re-Numbering (2000 2003)

I am experiencing a problem using custom WBS numbering and renumbering. I am using a shared resource pool with this project. When the project was first created there was no problem renumbering as new tasks were entered, but after working on the project for some time I noticed the renumbering was incorrect. Now when I load the project file I am prompted to open the shared resource file and when I do the WBS number changes. When I come to save the project again it also changes the numbering. The numbers increment. Examples below.

Original WBS
    5386 - 01
    5386 - 01.01
    5386 - 01.01.01

On loading file
    5386 - 02
    5386 - 02.06
    5386 - 02.06.05

After opening shared resource file
    5386 - 03
    5386 - 03.11
    5386 - 03.11.11

On saving the file
    5386 - 05
    5386 - 05.21
    5386 - 05.21.19

I have tried this on two computers in the office, both running Project 2000 and one at home running 2003. All give the same results. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bryan

Thanks

Re: CustoM WBS Number & Re-Numbering (2000 2003)

Interesting problem. Outline codes and renumbering have always given me "fits".

First - this is a long shot - In the main toolbar, go to Project, Sort. At the bottom, make sure the Permanently Renumber Tasks checkbox is not checked and the keep outline structure is checked. This could be causing a problem each time the project is opened.

Does the renumbering occur all the time or after new WBS's or tasks are input into the existing WBS structure?

As I really don't know why this is happening, I would suggest one of two alternatives.

1. The next time you get the WBS corrected, Select the WBS column and copy and paste it to a Text field. It won't hurt anything.
    2. Try setting up and using Custom Outline Numbers that you can group and sort on. These are independent of the WBS field and won't renumber.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply.

The long shot was a non starter, the check boxes were set as you suggest.

The renumbering occurs every time I open the project and if I renumber it all appears Ok until I save it, then it renumbers again. If I load the project without the shared resource pool, I can renumber it and save it without a problem. Once I re-associate the shared resource pool - off we go again. I need to use the WBS as it it used elsewhere in the company and needs to be consistent. The only way I think I resolve it is to copy all the resources into this project and don't use the shared pool.

Bryan

Thanks

The following link may provide the answer to your problem. This is a known problem with MS Project 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...1&Product=PRJ2K
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary

Nice one. This seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks very much.

Bryan