Thread: file server

Lounger
    Thanks

file server

I recently read that it is possible to make a computer running windows 2000 accept more than 10 connections so it can be used as a simple file server. I have searched and cannot find the reference again. Does anyone know how to do this?
    Martha Pontoni

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: file server

I must've missed something somewhere along the way - I never heard of a 10-connection limit in W2K. The only networks I've ever handled (intranet) had several W2K machines with shares setup and I never had any complaints from our 40 to 50 users that they were unable to access a share on one of the machines. At least not for this reason. Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Administrator
    Thanks

BigAl,
    This KB article Inbound Connections Limit in Windows says the limit is 10 concurrent connections for a Win2k Pro workstation. I know that there is an automatic disconnect also. So, you may have lucked out.

Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

in addition to what Joe noted...the key is concurrent connections; if more than ten users attempt to connect at any given time then resources will not be available. The best answer is to use Windows 2000 Server instead. CALs (Client Access Licenses) can get expensive quickly. The workstation version is intentionally limited to encourage use of server class products for server implementations.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Mea culpa, Martha. Evidently it was luck, but then again our users were hardly ever "connecting" to a particular workstation in bunches. The servers was another story and that wasn't in my area. Sorry.

New Lounger
    Thanks

When studying for my Administrator certification we discovered that Win2KPro can have as many connections as can be provided, up to 254.
    The caveat is the "concurrent" limitation mentioned here. Only 10 users at any one time can be connected.
    When connected to a domain through a server the concurrent limitation doesn't exist for the domain, but shares are still limited to 10.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all the info. The problem is that someone who has it mapped is considered "connected" to it so my shares get used up rather quickly. Someone mentioned automated disconnect. How do it get it to do that?

Martha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check the article recommended by Joe. It discusses automated disconnect.