New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Calendar (XP Professional 2002)

I would like to set up a calender to be used for vacation time. I need this calendar to be independent of my own calendar and be able to give editing rights to some people and just viewing rights to others? Can it be done?

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Calendar (XP Professional 2002)

Easily done so long as you have exchange either as a public folder, separate mailbox, or as an additional calander you create and share

New Lounger
    Thanks

Huh? Public folder? separate mailbox? How do I get these ? If I had a separate calendar this wouldn't be an issue. I would like to know HOW to get an additonal calendar? Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To create a new calendar folder select your calendar, from the File Menu select new/new folder. At the dialog box that appears make sure that the in the "folder contains" box you have "calendar items".

Once you have created the folder, right click on it, choose properties, then permissions and set the permissions you need.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen:
    I am on a Network and do not have personal folders - that I can see?? I'm still confused as to what to do to get a separate calendar on my PC?
    Thanks
    Beth

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Beth if you choose new folder from the file menu and just make sure that in the "folder contains" bit you have Calendar Items you will have created a new calendar

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did what you said and I have a beautiful "vacation calendar" folder under the Calendar folder. So far so good. I want to give access to someone for JUST the vacation folder and not my personal folder?? How do I do that. When I go to Options it only asks me if I want to delegate for the Calendar not any sub folders.
    Thanks
    Beth

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First give permission to your mail box Right click on the mailbox name (I think on exchange it is something like "your name mailbox" in the folder list go to properties and set the appropriate permissions in the permissions tab. Then repeat the process for the calendar folder you have set up.

In order to view it the person will then have to open it. This is the description from the help file

Open another person's folder
    This feature requires you to be using a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account.

On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Other User's Folder.
    In the Name box, type the name of the person who granted you sharing or delegate access permission, or click Name to select from a list.
    In the Folder type list, select the folder you want to open.
    Note If you have author or editor permission, any items you create while the shared folder is active are stored in the other person's folder.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Karen, I think this only applies to Beth's default Outlook calendar, not any additional calendar she has created.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have 2002 anymore but pretty sure it works anyway. Beth can you advise if this did the trick

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I tried this a few different ways and couldn't get it to work with any Calendar that wasn't a Default Calendar. However, in a weird convergence of posts, I was able to create Shortcut Pane access to another person's non-Default Calendar as follows:

1. Have the owner of a the non-Default Calendar e-mail you the desired Calendar as a Link per <!post=this post,371028>this post<!/post>. (As noted, this provides undifferentiated access to the source Calendar, and is thus a little dangerous. I should test this further; I may have Edit rights to the Calendar whose link I was sent.)
    2. Drag the Item Icon containing the Calendar link from the message to the Desktop
    3. Drag the Calendar link from the Desktop to the Shortcut Pane per <!post=this post,376202>this post<!/post>
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS