New Lounger
    Thanks

Saving e-mails to .msg files

Hello all,

Here's my situation. We have a user who for some reason likes to copy his e-mails from Outlook and paste them to his desktop in the form of .msg files. Don't ask me why. He was using Outlook 98. He was recently upgraded to Outlook 2000 SR-1. Now, when he tries to open one of these .msg files, Outlook is reduced to a smoking slag heap with the "This program has performd an illegal operation and will shut down" error.

Does anyone know why this is? I did a Knowledge Base search and didn't find anything terribly helpful. Any info on why this happens or if there's a fix would be much appreciated. I realize this falls under the category of "why are you doing that in the first place" but I'd still like to know. Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving e-mails to .msg files

what happens if he drops the message he wants to open back into outlook first?

does he get any error messages when outlook does it's crash and burn routine?

(and for the record, i do this to keep backups of important messages for my records. they fit on floppies better, should i need to move them)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>does he get any error messages when outlook does it's crash and burn routine?
    <hr>
    specifically mentioning exe's or dlls involved? you might want to enable doc watson and then crash outlook, it should report the problem file and it might be a good clue.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again! (Mary: I was out yesterday, sorry it took so long to write back.) I did some more digging and found a solution. This behavior affects Outlook 2000 only, not 98. Also, the error that gets generated is OS-specific, which is why I was getting inconsistent results.

Anyway, the problem is encountered when running Outlook 2K with the QuickView Plus AutoZip Extension feature. (This can be used to automatically zip up any message whose size exceeds some threshold.) Disabling it will solve the problem.

The fix is detailed in KBase number Q281714. Resolution is as follows:

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, remove the Quick View Plus Outlook AutoZip Extension option from the list of add-ins in Outlook 2000. To do this:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.

Click Advanced Options, and then click Add-in Manager.

In the Add-in Manager dialog box, click to clear the Quick View Plus Outlook AutoZip Extension check box.

Click OK three times.

Restart Outlook.