Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Log / Log File (Access 2000)

Hello everyone,

I got a question and hopefully someone can help.

I am interested in setting up a user log / log file that will capture a date and time that a database is actually opened. Also if possible a users network log on name but this isn't that important. There are no security settings applied to the DB but there are some settings applied to the folder where the DB resides on the network. Certain people have full admin privileges, some with write and others just read only. The DB can be viewed without data being entered and I would like to track how often a DB is actually being viewed.

Any help or a direction would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Log / Log File (Access 2000)

See <post#=366865>post 366865</post#> for some ideas of tracking who creates and edits records. You will find a GetUser function there that you can use for your purposes.

If you want to log when (and by whom) the database is being opened, you might ask the network admins if they have some kind of logging on the server already going on. If not, you can keep track of it yourself. You need either an AutoExec macro, or a code behind a startup form. The easiest way is to add a record in a table in the database itself using ADO or DAO or an append query. You can also use a separate text file.

Is this enough to get you started?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat,

Thank you for the speedy reply. I like the thought but I have a follow up question if you don't mind.

With the form activated at startup, would the entry and self closure of the form happen at such a instant that a user would not see it or would it be visable for a period?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by patt on 07-May-04 09:59. Users network name)</P>What you could do is to fire up a form that is designated by the Startup options, and all this form does is to write an entry into your nominated Audit table, then pass control to the main switchboard. The last thing that this form would do is to close itself.

Look at <post#=366611>post 366611</post#> for how to get the network users name.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you also. I like the AutoExec method with an export to a text file. This a good start to a solution.