Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Form letter (2000)

I have searched for form letters, shell documents, and looked at templates. Didn
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form letter (2000)

Try the Text Form Field from the Forms toolbar. Once you have placed the Form Text Fields in the document, you must protect it for forms: click the Protect Form button (the lock) on the Forms toolbar. If you want to change the design, click this button again. You can also specify a password; for this, you must select Tools | Protect Document; click the Forms radio button and enter the password. You will be prompted to enter it again for confirmation.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you I'll give it a try.
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Mail merges or Automation of Word from another application such as Excel or Access can also be used to generate personalized form letters that are nicely formatted.
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

I have done mail merges from databases created in Excel, Access and even Word itself but I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. I have only used the mail merges to create envelopes or mostly pages of labels. I think maybe you are suggesting that within a Word document there would be fields inserted that would draw from another database but I have never tried that.

What I needed to do in this instance was to create a "shell document" with variables each time the "shell document" was used but not draw from a database that has defined fields. Actually if I knew more about the "shell document" my sister-in-law needed maybe defined fields could possibly work but I, at this time, really don't think so. It will be a medical document used by office staff to define what procedure and what course of action was taken for various patients. I'm not sure but if I inserted every field variable into a shell document and I know every patient wouldn't have the same procedures preformed nor would the diagnosis and follow up work be the same so there would be empty fields unless they wouldn't show up if there were no entry for that person in the database. Maybe it would be like a mail merge for addresses where a second address line is put into the main document and shows up only if the second address line is needed to complete the address. I'm just not that familiar with what you are saying.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    H Lewton

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have done many merges using Word documents in table format as data files. I have also used Excel worksheets as data files. When you tell Word what document you are using as the data source, you are also telling Word what the names of these fields are. The names of the fields (from the title row in your table) are inserted into your main document using the mail merge toolbar. The length of the contents of each cell in the data file does not matter. The contents of each cell is inserted into the merged document where you select it to be. It does not matter if it is a paragraph or a word. The only caveat is that a lengthy entry can change the location of page breaks. I have found that if you are used to doing merges in Word 97 or Word 2000, if you use Word XP or 2003, you should use the mail merge toolbar- it is easier for me to follow than menus.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Redbeard42,

I have found that if you are used to doing merges in Word 97 or Word 2000, if you use Word XP or 2003, you should use the mail merge toolbar- it is easier for me to follow than menus. I have found the same thing. As a matter of fact, I had to post a question the first time I did a merge with Word 2003 to find this out. The only thing else I found is even with the merge toolbar visible it stops short of allowing you to do the final inserting of merge fields and editing their punctuation for the final output as was possible in Office 97 and Office 2000.

I still have the same question as in my previous post. If a field that is in the Word document has no entry in the data source regardless of if it's from Word, Excel, or Access does it close up the space of that non-entry in the final document? For instance, let
    H Lewton

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the field is blank, nothing is added. Not even a space.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Redbeard42,

Thank you.
    H Lewton

Thanks

Generally speaking, there are two ways to avoid a collapse of horizontal spacing: (1) manual tabs, or (2) tables. In the case of manual tabs, you need to set them wide enough to accommodate the largest possible data size. If the data is too wide, the tab will be pushed to the right, often much father than is desirable. In the case of tables, if the data is longer than expected, the data will wrap to the next line. In some instances, this is good, in other bad.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

When you say
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not to overload you with information, but there are several ways to create such a "form letter", depending upon your needs. In addition to what has already been mentioned (FormFields & Merges), the procedures could be inserted by using AutoText entries or using an {AutoTextList} field. You could also use {Includetext} fields to bring in information from other documents. {IF} fields can be used to bring in only certain information, based on some criteria. Perhaps you could sketch out a document that had the structure you're looking for & explain what type of & where the variable information would go.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Perhaps you could sketch out a document that had the structure you're looking for & explain what type of & where the variable information would go. Boy, I
    H Lewton

Thanks

You understood correctly: I'm just referring to how to line up multiple fields horizontally so that if data is short, long or missing, the layout is preserved. You still need to use fields of some kind for the data entry itself.