Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hiding Comments? (XP and 2000)

I'd like to be able to have comments in a document that will appear on the screen but not when I print the document. Is there any way to do this?

I'm using Office XP on one machine and Office 2000 and another, and need to be able to move documents freely back and forth between both machines, so any solution would ideally work with both versions.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

regards,
    Abraham Z.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hiding Comments? (XP and 2000)

In XP, you can simply click on the Show button and turn off Comments before you print. Then, the comments will not print. I don't have a pc around to test 200 on to see what the command is. This is assuming you are actually using Word's comments. Another way to do it would be to not use Words comments, but instead, insert just text and format it as hidden text. It will not print, but you can still see it on the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Abraham:
    In Word 2000, you can control this with Tools/Options/Print tab & under "Include with document", you can decide to omit comments. The comment reference marks are formatted as hidden, so if you do not include hidden text, you will not see the comment refrerence marks either.

I would assume that Word 2002 has similar options.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have noticed in Word XP that when the document contains comments and these are displayed on screen then there is an option in the print dialog that gets selected by default. You can choose to change this setting at print time to print the document without the comments.

The setting is the 'Print What' combo box and you should choose 'Document' rather than 'Document showing markup'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

A more low tech way to do this, particularly if you want to see your comments in the body of the document, is to use hidden text. I typically change the font color to green, since that's more noticeable than the dotted underline.