Thread: AutoComplete

Lounger
    Thanks

AutoComplete

Why is it when we fill a date field with MMMM/d/yyyy autocomplete comes up but will not execute with the enter key? Instead of filling in the rest of the date, the field just stops.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoComplete

Hi Meradel:

I take it that you're using Word 2000. The AutoComplete tip will pop up after at least 4 letters are typed. If you press enter, it should complete the entry. With dates, if you start to enter the current month, it will offer to complete today's date. However, if you type too fast (i.e. too many letters), the tip will turn off. If you press enter at that point, you will get a paragraph mark. If you type months other than the current month, the feature will offer to complete the month only. March, April, May, June, & July will not offer to complete a date unless the computer clock shows that month as the current month.

Depending on the length of the entry, the tip shuts off as early as typing 6 letters. (I don't have any authority for that, but that's what I have experienced). With longer entries, it shuts off later.

For example, typing September, the tip will show up after the "t" & until you type the second "e".

Hope this helps.

BAM

Hi Meradel,

Are you using protected Word forms with form fields?

Lounger
    Thanks

Form fields. We were trying to set up a form and put in an fill-in field.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your information, but the key word in my question is "field". I know how AutoComplete works and its great but we could not get it to work in a field.

BAM

Hi Meradel,

That is what I suspected. :-(

I have always been unsuccessful when it comes to using AutoComplete for a Date in a form field.

Now that we know where the problem lies, perhaps someone else has been successful with this and can share what they know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

I really asked the question knowing that probably it was not possible because of the way it acted when we were trying it. It gives you the AutoComplete and then backs up the field and does not insert it. I just expect too much out of Word at times I guess. I appreciate your comments. It isn't a matter of life and death because the secretary can always just type it in. Can't use the AutoDate in this instance because it is a legal document. Cheers to you as well.

BAM

Hi Meradel,

If you are creating new documents based on a template and want the current date, you could use the {CREATEDATE}field (Insert/Field).

This reflects the date the new document was created and will not update.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

WOW, YOU ARE AWESOME! Thanks for that tip. We will try that.