Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Aborting Startup Configuration (Access 2000)

For some reason I am no longer able to abort the startup configuration by holding down the Shift key when starting my Access application, and I'm really stuck. The application won't run because the links to the backend database are wrong (the application was copied from another computer). On the other computer the application was set up to start without displaying any of the menus, etc. I need to get into the application and change the links to the backup db on my computer, but I can't seem to get there. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Aborting Startup Configuration (Access 2000)

Some things you can try (though if it's really been bulletproofed, you may be stuck):<UL><LI>Try using the F11 key to unhide the database window<LI>See if Tools/Startup still exists in the menu<LI>See if you can push a form into design mode using a right mouse click, then bring up the VBA editor and undo the block of the Shift key (see other posts for how to do this)<LI>if the database hasn't been completely secured, import everything into a new database[/list]If none of these things work, then I think you may be truly stuck - the usual solution for cases where the startup has been turned off is to provide a hidden control that is used to turn off the Shift Key disable.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Aborting Startup Configuration (Access 2000)

Thanks Wendell. Your last suggestion was the only thing that worked.

However, after getting the application up and running I researched the Startup feature a bit further in the Access Help file, and I discovered the following:.

To abort the startup settings you must continue to hold the Shift key down when answering any security or similar message boxes that occur in the start procedure! That was a new one on me, but I tried it and it works.

My application had VBA code, so (unless you have a digital signature enabled which I didn't) it pops up a window asking if you want to enable macros. You have to hold the Shift key down while clicking on the "enable macros" button.