3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing XP (Win Xp)

I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop with a 9 gig HD running Win 98 and Office 98 with about 6 gig of free space. Can I just install Win & Office XP without losing too much of my free space?

Am I looking at any problems that I ought to know about?

Eli

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing XP (Win Xp)

<hr>Can I just install Win & Office XP without losing too much of my free space<hr>
    Yes. I would strongly recommend that you install XP clean into its own directory and migrate yourself to it that way, as opposed to an upgrade. Although the upgrade process is fairly solid, a clean installation is always a better option - that way, you ensure that you are not bringing over any quirks or oddities from the previous operating system.

Expect to use roughly 1GB for Windows XP and Office XP combined. That's a very rough estimate, since the space needed depends greatly on the options you choose during installation, particularly in the case of Office.

A final note: make it a point to visit all of the vendors' websites for your hardware and download the latest XP drivers and updates so you will have them if/when you need them. Prepare, prepare, prepare!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to reply; I've been away and unable to reply sooner.
    I understand about installing the XPs into new directories but I'm "lost in space" when you say "migrate to it". What does that mean and how do I do it? Do I eventually delete the old Window and Office apps?
    Eli

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

By migrate, I mean move slowly into your fresh installation of Windows. You can maintain two working installations of Windows, and take your time transferring settings, installing applications, and other tasks that way. Once you are satisfied with the operation and "livability" of the new install, you can then remove the older one. Make sure that you install your program files in a different location, too, if you do this. Once it's all said and done you can just remove the old directories.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOW! That was a fast reply.
    It looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me.
    Thank you for your help and support.
    Eli