3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VPN & Lost IP Address (XP Pro SP1)

Using XP Pro SP1 laptop I connect to our bank's network via BorderManager using a Linksys router and DSL.

I connect usually first time, get logged in and launch Peregrine's Service Center and within 10 minutes or so I get a Service Center has shut down message. When this happens I check my TCP/IP info via IPCONFIG /ALL and I no longer have an IP address.

I have gotten out my documentation and tomorrow will run this by our remote access component owners but my Linksys router remains as configured for months so I am scratching my head as to what has changed either on the laptop (been SP1 for quite a while), on the network end or something I am missing in the router configuration.

My Windows 98SE over the DSL is fine and does not lose IP address but I also do not have Peregrine's Service Center installed so I have to figure this one out so I can use that application remotely.

Does the loss of IP address point to DNS or WINS conflict somewhere? Any pointers to get me headed in the right direction greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,

David
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VPN & Lost IP Address (XP Pro SP1)

If nothing has changed dramatically on your end of the connection, I would suspect it to be a security change on the other end. Have you investigated that possibility?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I noted that it appears a change was made in the WINS server so I grabbed the "old" doc and the "new" doc and will test tonight.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I have discovered tentatively is this: the lease time set by default in my Linksys router was 30 minutes. It takes almost 30 minutes to connect, run our scripts and other such remote login tasks so within 5 to 10 minutes I was (apparently) losing the IP address. I am going to test this but I changed the setting to 0 or 24 hours at the router and my initial tests seem to confirm that I no longer lose the IP address while running our bank's software.

I will check around to see what others in our group are experiencing but the short lease time appears to be related to my issue.

-Jester