5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fill multiple entries with combobox (2K)

Hi,
    Just got a query on a combobox type thing.
    I have various entries on a table that I want the user to select in a form from a combo box. Or something similar.
    The only problem I have is that the user must be able to select several entries from the same combobox at the same time.
    So for instance:
    Combo box contains the names: John, Michael, Susan, Paul, Adam.
    The user selects John, Michael & Adam. This data is displayed in a text box, underneath the combo box.
    I would then like the user to have the option of highlighting an entry in the textbox and adding a date beside it. I would also like them to have the option of being able to delete the entry.
    As you maybe able to tell, I'm not too sure how to go about this. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fill multiple entries with combobox (2K)

A list box may be more suitable for this than a combo box. A list box has a Multi Select property (in the Other tab of the Properties window); the default setting is None, but it can also be set to Simple (users can click to select or deselect additional items) and to Extended (users can select a contiguous range by Shift+click, or select/deselect individual items by Ctrl+click, the same way you can select files in Windows Explorer.) See attached screenshot.

Another possibility is to use a continuous subform with a combo box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (3.8 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A multiselect listbox will allow selection of more than one item in a list as Hans suggests. However, I'm having difficulty envisioning what you're trying to do. All a multiselect gives you is a list. Where did you want to add a date or delete a record?
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I think Hans suggestion would work best with regards to the subform.
    The entry is for a form that lists a selection of hearing types (in relation to Court Hearings) that I wish the user to be able to select text for. Therefore the entries will need to be carried across to a text box (A) (or similar) with another textbox (B)beside it where the user can then enter the date of the hearing.
    What I was hoping to do was have a combo/list box with all of the entries needed in it. The user would then click on an entry and that entry would be carried across to the first text box (a) and then the user can enter the date in ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] for that hearing. The user would then select another entry from the list/combobox and this would fill the second row of (a) and so on an so forth.
    I though that this would be a tidy way of doing it. I did debate whether to simple have check boxes with all the hearings in and the user simple check each relevant hearing. Although this would work, I felt it would look quite untidy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple entries in a single text box is not a good idea. The individual entries should go into individual records, so a separate table driving a continuous subform is probably the best solution. The table and subform can contain various fields, such as a date field.