Star Lounger
    Thanks

OCR (forms) in Office (2003)

Hello all,
    I have long wanted to be able to scan a form into Excel or any other Office product and fill in on the computer. I tried and OCR software several years ago without luck. Can anyone tell me if there is a good product out there to do what it is that I want? For example, I would like to scan in a form that would require some calculations into an Excel worksheet. I want to create a template for this form so that as I do a monthly report I can just plug in the new data and have all corresponding cells change to the new data.

TIA,

Bret

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OCR (forms) in Office (2003)

While OCR has come a long way, it still has a way to go. We use it in the office for scanning of documents into Word files. But, the margin of error is high in a Word document. I shudder to think what might happen with numbers, formulas, etc. You suggest that what you have is a form - OCR is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL at recognizing shapes and lines - anything other than straight text and it is not reliable. You'll probably end up reformatting more than you imagined.

Perhaps a good course of action would be to invest a bit of time now to create your Excel template manually. I guarantee it will save you time in the long run - the possibility of error in an OCR conversion to Excel seems to me to be too great, and might prove difficult to pinpoint "down the road."

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Candi,

I was pretty certain that this would be the case. I was just hopeful that something had changed.

Bret

Lounger
    Thanks

Just realized I didn't offer much in the way of options - if you ARE interested in trying out some OCR software, I recommend PaperPort. We currently use PaperPort Deluxe 8 (SP1) with HP ScanJet scanners - combined, they do a decent job compared to others.