4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Custom Formulas (2000)

Hi,
    This is what I have, I have approx. 22 project files, I've brought them all into a master project list. In each individual project file I've created some custom fields to calculate the number of days they are behind the project plan and I have that field in the footer. It seems to work correctly. Duration1=ProjDateDiff([ProjStartDate]-Date()) - Duration2=([%WorkComplete]*[Duration])/100 - Duration3=[Duration1]-[Duration2].

My ultimate goal is to export that Duration3 field to Excel so I can add it to another report. When I bring all the projects into a master file, the formula doesn't work. I'm assuming it's because I don't want to use the Master projects start date, I want to use the individual sub projects start date, but can't seem to figure out how to do that.

So I need help figuring out how to that with the master project file, or exporting each field from each individual file into one Excel file. I've attached a sample project.
    Thanks,
    Deb
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Custom Formulas (2000)

Deb,

I understand what you are trying to do but don't understand the way you are going about calculating whether or not a task is behind schedule. Typically, you would create a baseline of your schedule to measure against. This would do away with the problem you are encountering with the Project Start dates in a master project. You could then compare the start date to the Baseline Start or Finish to Baseline Finish to see delays.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gary,
    I'll give that a try, but I also want a single number that says ## Days Behind Schedule. Would subtracting Start date from baseline start do that? I figured I was making it a little harder than necessary. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks,
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An add on after re-reading your response Gary. I'm looking for an overall behind for the entire project, not just tasks. Thanks,Deb

Thanks

Deb,

There is a Start Variance field in MS Project that does the calculation for you, that is, the variance between the Baseline Start and Start. In fact there are several variance fields available. These are:

Work Variance = (Work - Baseline Work)
    Cost Variance = (Cost - Baseline Cost)
    Finish Variance = (Finish - Baseline Finish)
    Start Variance = (Start - Baseline Start)
    Duration Variance = (Duration - Baseline Duration)

All of these fields provide valuable information for you to use.

Having a negative start variance on a task(s) does not necessarily mean the project is behind as you could have available slack in the schedule. Looking at variances at the top level of the project may help determine if the project is behind. You could also add milestones to determine if critical portions of the project are completing on time.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,
    I think that will give me what I want. Thanks. Deb