4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot open (2002 and 2003 SP2)

Does anyone know what would cause my normal.dot to always be open in the background? Every time I close the files I'm working on, I also see the normal.dot close after my document. In the recently used file list it is always listed, too. This first appeared in my 2002 version, and carried over to my 2003 version. I've deleted the normal.dot several times, but that hasn't solved the problem.

TIA
    egghead

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot open (2002 and 2003 SP2)

Do you also have normal.dot in the Word startup folder? It shouldn't be. Do a complete search for normal.dot & make sure that there is only one & that's it's in the templates folder. Also, delete your temp files per Step 1 in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Cheers,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In my search I didn't find one in my startup folder but there is one in the Workgroup Templates location (which is Q:Templates. I am unable to rename or delete that as it gives the following errer:

<hr>Cannot rename Normal: it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again. <hr>
    I have Word closed and am using Windows Explorer to view the Workgroup Templates folder.
    egghead

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you on a network where someone else is using this? If you are, the setup is poor, as normal.dot should be reserved for the individual user. If you aren't, follow the other step I mentioned in the previous post.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Workgroup Templates folder is on the network, and there are other networked users that use templates from that folder. No one is intentionally set up to use the normal.dot from the Workgroup Templates folder, but I'm sure it's possible that it has happened. However, the normal.dot that is listed in my recently used file list shows C: Documents and Settings . . . , not the Workgroup Templates folder.

I did try both your steps, but still have the problem.
    egghead

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Besides the Word startup folder, there is also an Office startup folder. I don't know why it could be there, but make sure it isn't. If you're on a network & no one has placed the normal.dot there, have your administrator remove it. Still, it shouldn't start when Word starts. Do you get the same behavior when you start Word from the command line with the /a switch, as mentioned in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>. Do you have any AutoExec (or other) macros that open normal.dot? When normal.dot is being opened is it changed? (Make sure Tools/Options/Save tab/Prompt to save normal.dot is checked.) I can't imagine why normal.dot would be opening up.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did search my entire computer and network, and only found the two normal.dots, the one in my Documents and Settings... folder and the one on the network in the Workgroup templates folder.

I checked one coworkers PC and she had her Template location set to the WorkGroup Templates folder and then didn't have a location set for Workgroup templates. I reset her normal.dot to the Documents and Settings location, then set her Workgroup Templates location. I was still unable to delete the Workgroup template normal.dot, so others must have that set, too. Woudn't we need to get that fixed on each PC before the administrator deletes it? Otherwise it will just get recreated, right?

Anyway, I started it from the switch and got the document recovery task pane. If I click on the icon it opens my normal.dot in the window. Once I close that, create a blank document and save, close it, then exit Word, I don't see the normal.dot saving info in the status bar and it appears not to be closing it.
    egghead

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would think that the administrator would be able to reset everyone's template location to Templates & their Workgroup Templates to that folder. But is this problem just something that you're having? It seems that some macro or add-in is opening normal.dot, but maybe you can go through the rest of the steps in the post that I referred you to. Other than that, I don't know what to recommend.