Thanks

ListNum list names (Word 2002 SP-2)

Today I customized one of the Outline Numbering styles in the Style Gallery of Normal.dot and entered a name ("ArchiveOutline") in the "ListNum field list name" box at the bottom of the dialog.

The first time I went to insert a ListNum field in a new document, I got the right result: When I selected ListNum in the "Field names" list in the Insert-->Field dialog, ArchiveOutline showed up in the "List name" list in that same dialog.

But now the "List name" list in that same dialog shows 5 entries: ArchiveOutline, ArchiveOutline2, ArchiveOutline2222, ArchiveOutline22222 and ArchiveOutline222222.

I went back to Normal.dot and tried resetting the Outline Numbering style (while blanking the"ListNum field list name"), but that had no effect.

How do I (1) get rid of the rogue entries in the "List name" list of the Insert-->Field dialog, and (2) prevent this proliferation in the future if I want to add a handful of user-defined list styles?

Thanks

Re: ListNum list names (Word 2002 SP-2)

I've never seen this myself, but I believe we have had posts on problems with the proliferation of "list templates". You could try a search...

Thanks

I'd already tried a "ListNum" search. Now I've searched "list template", "list templates", "list name" and "list names", all to no avail.

I'm reasonably competent in the Visual Basic department, so if anyone knows how to get at those "List name" entries using VB, that would work for me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can find some information about "listnum proliferation" in <!mskb=241581>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 241581<!/mskb>, but I don't know if this applies to your case.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It may be that this is related to the CharChar styles issue. I don't have Word 2002, so I can't test, but try searching for "CharChar" (no quotes) in this forum. I think one of them is a star post & may help resolve this.

Thanks

Thanks, that one sounds similar, but it was a Word 2000 problem that was fixed in 2000 SP-1.

Thanks

Thanks for trying. If only ListTemplates were Styles, then I'd have a .Delete method to work with. Alas, ListTemplates is a collection with an Add method and no Remove method, so I remain stuck.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I read this thread with interest as I haven't used List Styles yet (because I didn't think they were fully cooked yet) - now I have more reasons to delay using them.

I didn't solve your problem but thought I would post on the things I have tried. Seeing as we can't delete or remove list templates with VBA, I tried renaming them with VBA and that works quite well. So then I tried to rename them onto a name that already existed in the hope that one would be lost but Word worked out what I was attempting and told me that the name was already used and I would have to pick a different name. So then I tried converting an outline level list to a single level list - but this doesn't remove them either, nor can I see a way to remove this type either.

My old standby method for removing list templates involved opening the file in a version of Word that pre-dated list templates but that method is becoming harder without a machine that long in the tooth.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

I appreciate your efforts. In case anyone else is encountering this problem, here are a couple of articles that I found helpful, although they both address the prevention side, rather than telling you how to remove the proliferation of templates after they've been created:

http://www.microsystems.com/pdfs/ListTemplates.pdf

http://www.matsu.nl/Files/sevenlaws.doc

Interestingly, the first article states that "The build up of excess list templates is an issue only in Word 97 and Word 2000. Word 2002 manages list templates effectively." Based on my experience, this may depend on your definitions of "excess" and "effectively."

Lounger
    Thanks

"The build up of excess list templates is an issue only in Word 97 and Word 2000. Word 2002 manages list templates effectively." Based on my experience, this may depend on your definitions of "excess" and "effectively."

Amen. I thought perhaps it was just me - thank God it's not and I couldn't agree with you more. I've been using the macro from the MicroSystems article for a few months now on documents and I am amazed at the "excess" number of list templates I'm still seeing. More frightening is I can watch the number grow by making the same traditional mistakes to numbering as in the past. I can't imagine what the count of List templates would look like if this wasn't Word XP - who "handles List templates more effectively".

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

After Word 2000, Microsoft made a change which limits the number of List Templates & reduces them every time a document is saved (maybe when opened, too, I forget). Gary Frieder posted a fix for Word 2000 in <post#=140440>post 140440</post#>. However, I read the original problem as something different than deleting List Templates, but maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks

The original problem is indeed deleting List Templates -- and specifically, the bogus duplicative ones that can show up in the "List name" box (e.g., in my example, ArchiveOutline2, ArchiveOutline2222, ArchiveOutline22222, etc.) when you go to insert a ListNum field. It may be that Word 2002 limits the number of these bogus entries to 400 or 600 or something (thus avoiding document corruption), but that's what I'd call a spectacularly limited solution.

There's really no excuse (is there?) for Microsoft's failure to give the user more access to (and control over) Word's "remembered" storehouse of List Templates -- both through VBA and through a user-friendly dialog. I'm expecting improvements by Word 2018 (at the latest).