Thread: Windows Update

Thanks

Windows Update

When I go to windows up date it tells me that I have to download a crucial update (823559). When I check to see what this update is I find that I already have it In fact I have downloaded it eight times. Can someone explain why windows update keeps asking me to download the same update?
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Update

Microsoft has had this problem from time to time. See the thread starting at <post#=239194>post 239194</post#>.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Phil. I read the threads you suggested and wonder if Microsoft is aware of the problem? I hope this means that there is nothing wrong with my PC. Is there a way to contact Microsoft without paying for the tech support they have.
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure. I haven't contacted them in a long time. Some of their web pages allow an email contact, but I've never gotten a response.

Thanks

That's what happened to me too. I sent an e-mail to them a few times with no reply either. I wonder if anyone else is having the same trouble? I have checked my PC for Trojans, viruses, and everything I could think of and found nothing out of whack that would make me think it was on my end. The only thing I haven't done was a reformat. But everything seems to be working good (so far) so I am putting that off until things really get messed up. Maybe someone else will read my post and respond with the same problem. Again thanks for your help. One other thing I am now a "Star Lounger". Can you tell me what that means? Please reply
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sure. Click the Help button, go to the Index, & look for Status.
    Cheers,

Thanks

Thanks Phil.
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>wonder if Microsoft is aware of the problem? I hope this means that there is nothing wrong with my PC<hr>
    Microsoft may well be aware of the problem, but that does not mean they will be in any hurry to fix it. It comes to numbers: if it affects only a small percentage of users, their resources will be directed at show-stopping bugs and security exploits, something I think we all would agree is a good thing. I sincerely doubt that it is a problem with your PC. I tested this scenario with a pair of identical XP systems once and got radically different lists of updates from the Windows Update site. The problem seems to result more from the way Microsoft implements patches - even their own tools (I'm thinking of the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer here) cannot tell which updates have been applied and which have not with any consistency.
    -Mark

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Mark.
    Catz