Lounger
    Thanks

Collaborating on a document (2003)

We are currently using Office 2000 and are thinking of upgrading to 2003. I already have this on my home PC and was interested in the collaboration possibilities in connection with MS SharePoint Services. We often have to produce documents where specific people are responsible for the information in a part of the document. I understand that Word 2003 allows editing rights to be assigned to individuals for parts of a document. Does this allow different people to work on different parts of a document at the same time, or is it still only possible for one person to work on the document, the others being able to access in read-only mode only?

It hasn't been clear to me from any documentation I have read and I would appreciate clarification.

Many thanks
    Martin

Thanks

Re: Collaborating on a document (2003)

> Does this allow different people to work on different parts of a document at the same time, or is it still only possible
    > for one person to work on the document, the others being able to access in read-only mode only?

I have not used SharePoint, but from the demo I saw it appears to be a pretty face over a standard (web server) file system. Therefore, I suspect that it cannot arbitrate file saves to different parts of a file, and continues to operate the same old way.

There are ways to construct a Word document from a bunch of other documents, so that each person could take charge of their part separately, but since I haven't had to do it, I can't vouch for the attractiveness of the final result.